Smart ebike out of production?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i cant find a new batt for that bike either so when warranty runs out u stuffed.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
It’s not your thread. You don’t own it, and you wouldn’t even if you had started it which you didn’t. But I expect your massive sense of entitlement gives you the illusion that you do own everything in sight.

You really are a prize idiot, and I don’t think anyone here wants to read any more of your bullsh*t.
Excellent, I may get less utter nonsense posted slagging off my bike by ill informed jealous clowns who think they know it all :) Best people like that stick to what they know and don't make up nonsense, some gullible people believe everything they read which is dangerous.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
they have been on ebay for a long time.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/smart-ebike-Smart-electric-bike-grey-IN-STOCK-AND-READY-FOR-PICKUP-/171945696649?hash=item2808c31d89:m:mTNPRxiog88WO-0I4xFQNuQ

most ppl on here buy a bike or kit on spec tho if it looks nice would be a bonus but if u put that smart bike against mine it would obliterate it up down hill on flat and batt distance.

apple might make it look nice but if you want pure cpu power apple is not the way to go ;)
No 1 - It is NOT an APPLE bike :)

No 2 - The bikes I was talking about are on sale in Germany and Belgium for £1,069 so a big difference when doing your risk assessment :)

No 3 - The bike is NOT for racing, it is a bike for getting about and rehabilitation although a superb and top notch bike for the money :)

No 4 - You mention the Mercedes Smart eBike would obliterate your bike up and down hill and on the flat, well I don't know about that but I tend to agree the battery would most likely outlast yours as it has a 63 mile range :)

No 5 - The bike was launched in 2012 so is coming to the end of its exclusive run, it was only sold in Mercedes showrooms so was never intended for the mass market, it was a bespoke designer model made exclusively for Mercedes :)

Have a great day :)

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Excellent, I may get less utter nonsense posted slagging off my bike by ill informed jealous clowns who think they know it all :) Best people like that stick to what they know and don't make up nonsense, some gullible people believe everything they read which is dangerous.
Sobered up this morning? Or maybe it wasn't the booze talking but you always post stone cold sober? In vino veritas anyway, so not much real difference.

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
No 1 - It is NOT an APPLE bike :)

No 2 - The bikes I was talking about are on sale in Germany and Belgium for £1,069 so a big difference when doing your risk assessment :)

No 3 - The bike is NOT for racing, it is a bike for getting about and rehabilitation although a superb and top notch bike for the money :)

No 4 - You mention the Mercedes Smart eBike would obliterate your bike up and down hill and on the flat, well I don't know about that but I tend to agree the battery would most likely outlast yours as it has a 63 mile range :)

No 5 - The bike was launched in 2012 so is coming to the end of its exclusive run, it was only sold in Mercedes showrooms so was never intended for the mass market, it was a bespoke designer model made exclusively for Mercedes :)

Have a great day :)
Does bespoke not mean 'made to order'. Is the smart bike not mass produced?
I'm also wary of the term 'designer'? Do you mean the modem meaning of something exclusive due to its high price?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You could also try getting out of the Scotch mist and buy one of these, £300 is pretty cheap for a brand new battery for a designer, elite bespoke made cycle by a premier brand :) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-E-Bike-Akku-Reparatur-Zellentausch-eBike-Smart-/121803891731?
'Smart E-Bike Akku Reparatur Zellentausch eBike Smart. Senden sie mir ihren alten zu und ich bestücke ihn neu'.

that offer is not available for the UK. You have to send in your old battery, the guy recells it and sends it back to you. The price is just for the cellpack.

I could not find any cheap offer of 1,500 Euros anywhere in Europe, except second hand.

Last edited:

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Does bespoke not mean 'made to order'. Is the smart bike not mass produced?
I'm also wary of the term 'designer'? Do you mean the modem meaning of something exclusive due to its high price?
Well they adjusted the seat and handlebars for me so I just put bespoke, it kind of makes it look special rather than just designer :) Anyway it is made for the elite so not many around and I think people know I am special now. I had some problems yesterday with the iPad Pro, the rain was settling on it so I am going to buy some rainX, that should make the films easier to see whilst I am riding around London. Have a great day

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
'Smart E-Bike Akku Reparatur Zellentausch eBike Smart. Senden sie mir ihren alten zu und ich bestücke ihn neu'.

that offer is not available for the UK. You have to send in your old battery, the guy recells it and sends it back to you. The price is just for the cellpack. BTW, that guy could not write proper German.

I could not find any cheap offer of 1,500 Euros anywhere in Europe, except second hand.
If you want a bike I know where they are available, I know because a fellow forum member sent emails to a load of Mercedes dealers in Belgium and shared the responses and availability with me, his bike arrived from Belgium last Friday. I have email addresses and telephone numbers, I guess you just want one of you have been looking or there would be no other reason, so send me a message and I will tell you :)

damian

Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2015
Belfast
Well they adjusted the seat and handlebars for me so I just put bespoke, it kind of makes it look special rather than just designer :) Anyway it is made for the elite so not many around and I think people know I am special now. I had some problems yesterday with the iPad Pro, the rain was settling on it so I am going to buy some rainX, that should make the films easier to see whilst I am riding around London. Have a great day
Can you further explain how it is ' made for the elite '? If I pay the money (which you point out is less than many others) I can get one. So a bike for the masses?

is tuning authorized?
No, tuning is prohibited. If you nevertheless use a tuning kit or manipulate your Bosch eBike system in any other way, you lose your guarantee and warranty claims on the purchased bicycle. Through improper handling of the system in general, you reduce the service life and risk damage to the Drive Unit and the bicycle. In addition, you endanger your safety and that of other road users, thus risking high personal liability costs and even the possibility of criminal prosecution in case of accidents which are due to tuning. For this reason, Bosch eBike Systems instructs all eBike riders and providers to refrain from tuning.

http://www.bosch-ebike.de/en/service/faq/faq.php

cant be 1 rule for 1 and all others can ,well there u go
in addition to Bosch's guidance, Raleigh / Haibike have now issued guidance to all Raleigh / Haibike dealers about fitting dongles. This letter went out last week.

"In addition Raleigh UK categorically condemns the illegal riding of de-restricted electric bikes. Riding a derestricted electric bicycle that hasn’t been through the proper type approval (not to mention insurance, licensing, registration etc) in a public place, is illegal. In the eyes of the law it will be treated as a motorised vehicle. It will endanger your safety and that of other road users, risking accidents as a result of this tuning, as well as steep fines, prosecution and the risk having your driving licence taken away. We take our duty of care in this matter very seriously and will be undertaking a series of consumer communications initiatives to ensure that people are aware of the facts, the risks but also the great fun they can have with Raleigh UK Electric bikes when they are ridden safely, responsible and legally. More information on this campaign will follow in due course

This is a new and exciting industry and one which we must work together to grow positively and responsibly. I am asking therefore, that as our partner in electric bikes, you undertake the following actions which we believe will help to protect both the safety of our customers and the future of this business.

With immediate effect Raleigh UK ask that all stockists of Raleigh, Koga and Haibike Electric provide clear and proactive information on de-regulation for your customers both on your website and instore. This information must make the legal, safety and warranty implications of riding de-restricted bikes illegally very clear and should be displayed prominently i.e. on your website home page not in hidden in FAQs and on the counter not under the counter in-store.

In addition with immediate effect, Raleigh UK reserves the right to de-list any stockist found to be fitting or selling derestriction devices to consumers for use on UK public roads / cycle paths / trails."

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Can you further explain how it is ' made for the elite '? If I pay the money (which you point out is less than many others) I can get one. So a bike for the masses?
No not at all, if you didn't go into a Mercedes showroom you most likely wouldn't see one for sale, those targeted to buy one are Mercedes drivers and of course Smart vehicle drivers who are elite i.e. a small percentage of the population although the cars are more affordable.

Of course you can buy one, I did and don't have a Smart car, but you have to understand that when you buy one other cyclists will respect you much more as they believe you are one of the elite, cars give way to you and drivers give a nice wave, pedestrians smile at you as you glide past, all in all a lovely experience :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you want a bike I know where they are available
I don't want one. If the Smart is currently available at Mercedes dealers at £1,100 then there is some ground for recommending it, but not at the current listed price (£1800). The Suntour kit on Halfords' own Carrera Crossfire E currently at £999 is my current benchmark shop bought bike.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I don't want one. If the Smart is currently available at Mercedes dealers at £1,100 then there is some ground for recommending it, but not at the current listed price (£1800). The Suntour kit on Halfords' own Carrera Crossfire E currently at £999 is my current benchmark shop bought bike.
It is for sale at that price but only certain dealers with it on offer in Germany and Belgium, that is what I am trying to tell people. Shipping is around £150 but still if you look at the spec you are getting a top notch bike for the money. You can buy a lot of junk for £1,100 and I have seen what is about, BUT a Mercedes Smart eBike is not for everyone, it is slick, sheek (is that a word or a kebab :) ) and beautifully engineered, but if anyone wants one they have to be quick as they are selling quick at that price.

I am not a boy racer, I am also not a keen cyclist, I am using the bike to save the environment and get rehabilitated, although the bike to me was like a magic hand pushing e from behind I am sure there are a lot more illegal bikes that can go quicker, mine has a range of 63 miles and I have 2 batteries, so these will last me years, anyway I have a full 2 yrs warranty so can sleep at night. There is a rare version with front suspension and a rear rack that a forum member managed to buy, its called the black version, you can buy the front forks for 259 Euros from a German main dealer, see here http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-smart-ebike-Federgabel-schwarz-silber-Aluminium-B67993074-/181502520991?hash=item2a4264ae9f:g:fRIAAOxyBvZTRmH5 , I am still getting used to mine but may take up that option although I have never had suspension on a bike, I always thought it was for softies :) But I guess after having it you don't want to lose it, but I have no intention off going off road other than canal paths.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
your use of the word 'top notch' may have the reverse effect. The Smart is not competitive on most fronts against well established brands like Haibike, KTM, Cube, Kalkhoff etc. even at sale price of 1500 Euros.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
your use of the word 'top notch' may have the reverse effect. The Smart is not competitive on most fronts against well established brands like Haibike, KTM, Cube, Kalkhoff etc. even at sale price of 1500 Euros.
Well it is top notch in my mind. Why do people have to slag off other peoples bikes, and look for fault to try and discredit it, that is all that has happened on my post replies and is plain for all to see, a lot of the replies were utter nonsense with no experience attached, it just showed those individuals up as being full of hot air and discrediting them, hopefully lessons will be learned and people will talk about what they know not make it up.

As for other trawling the internet looking to conform what I am saying, well go ahead, you must lead very sad lives, it seems the bikes I mentioned have disappeared from the well known German shopping its now, but there are a few left that I know about, vision decision is the key as long as you have assessed what you are looking for.

How about a bit less of this bitchiness and lets get on with ALL talking about what we all have (from real direct experience) and let people make up their minds, not ever bike is for everyone and it would be boring if it was, I went elite and bespoke because I fit in perfectly with that brand, if you want a cheepie bike from the Far East that looks like a Christmas tree then go for it, nowt stopping you, it is the season after all :)

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015

that offer is not available for the UK. You have to send in your old battery, the guy recells it and sends it back to you. The price is just for the cellpack.

The guy selling the batteries is sound, I even spoke to him on the phone before buying it, I bought one, it was brand new in the box, he has a few left if anyone wants one. I bought it to enable me to get straight out again biking without waiting for a re charge, or even take it in my back pack and have an extended trip as we spend 5 weeks of the summer in the South of France, I will rotate the batteries and hopefully get years and years of use, they have a 2 year warranty anyway so thats covered.