Someone make this snow go away!!

gbeton

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2009
It's coming down now and settling on the North Kent/Surrey border at Addington, might be with you soon.
Nothing in mid-essex yet either - but it is damn cold though!

Going to the Arsenal v Bolton match tomorrow and am expecting that to be cancelled at the last minute!

(Bounds Green born and bred - so not part of the prawn sandwich brigade!)

Graeme

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I finally got some snow last night, all of 1cm. Thankfully it stayed relatively warm so riding in was no problem, just a few wheelspins.

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Plenty of snow in the midlands and still snowing!

I have been commuting to work by bike up until today.
It's just not worth the risk.

Take care all.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Your 906

No Eddie

Much to Gail's delight (not!) your 906xc Tourer is still in the hall, we did put some holly on it over the Christmas period though!

This is my bike that I leave out in all weathers to test for rusting and other problems associated with the wet.

All the best

David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
No Eddie

Much to Gail's delight (not!) your 906xc Tourer is still in the hall, we did put some holly on it over the Christmas period though!

This is my bike that I leave out in all weathers to test for rusting and other problems associated with the wet.

All the best

David
I have the same problem with the hallway and my bike is consigned to the garden if I'm home during the day, fortunately I now have a warm garage to keep it in at work. I can see the need for an anti rust chain now as it happens suprisingly quickly when left outside.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
:D :D :D No snow in North Norfolk today or overnight. The road through our village is wet but not icy for around 5 miles. So my wife and I got out for a cold and windy ride but boy do we feel good!!!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
well they got it right this time...it snowed last night in London and a little today but they forecast heavy snow from 3 pm and It is hammering down now...Glad I got some shopping in yesterday:rolleyes:

My son & friends just made a 12 foot snow man on the common, he may well be on the BBC news:)

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
My eldest son (age 6) was off school today and we all built an igloo in the back garden, went sledging in our field then had baked potatoes in front of the fire.
DSC_0039.JPG
The pic is Mrs Django and youngest son.

Utterly fantastic day. :)

1967geezer

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2009
Maidenhead, UK
I love the snow, it brings a bit of brightness in the winter gloom.

But, it does need treating with respect. As long as I don't go mad I have found I can cycle pretty much all the way to work. I was the only one in today :)

What I have found is that trodden or driven snow is dangerous, the hard lumps pushed down by feet and cars take the front wheel all over the place. Cycling in virgin snow is relatively safe.

One of my other hobbies is growing and keeping bonsai and mini bonsai trayscapes. I have created several such trayscapes based on Bag End and Hobbiton in The Lord Of The Rings...

Of course, it snows in Middle-Earth too :)

Chris.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
is there a reason at all why city buses dont have snow chains available....to keep local transport operational?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
is there a reason at all why city buses dont have snow chains available....to keep local transport operational?
Chains do a lot of damage to both roads and tyres if the snow isn't very deep, and we don't usually get much snow in Britain. That damage is more severe when heavy vehicles like buses and trucks are involved, their tyres are far from cheap and there are safety implications for damaged tyres on buses.

I've tried both chains and arm clamps in the past and don't rate them highly, even suffering wheels spinning within them when wet and giving no traction.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
fair comment...but their are alternatives these days to chains. one called the auto sock or something like that and the spike spider plus a XX style rubber gizmo as well. (these are used a lot on motorhomes)

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
What snow, I haven't seen any in ages. :confused: I'm quite glad I don't live in Scotland at the moment but if I did then a pair of Nokian snow tyres would come in handy, a bit more extreme and capable than Schwalbe's offerings.
Last year I wondered why the e-bike season starts at the end of May. The Sled Dog Association of Scotland - It might be worth fitting a cytronex kit to one of their wheeled chariots to help the huskies out when there is no snow.:D

If wheeled chariots are exempt from e-bike regulations:cool: it could a prove popular alternative to the e-bike.:eek:

Commuting fun all year round unless it floods!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
fair comment...but their are alternatives these days to chains. one called the auto sock or something like that and the spike spider plus a XX style rubber gizmo as well. (these are used a lot on motorhomes)
True, but I don't know how well they'd stand up to really heavy vehicles. Some years ago I tried a four arm spider device and it threatened to shake the vehicle to pieces and the tyre slipped around inside it when wet, no matter how tightly it was clamped on.

In Sweden where they've so much more experience than us, they use steel insert tyres which grip while keeping road damage to a minimum, but even then there is a compulsory date when they have to be removed and changed back to normal tyres, to avoid road damage.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Last year I wondered why the e-bike season starts at the end of May. The Sled Dog Association of Scotland - It might be worth fitting a cytronex kit to one of their wheeled chariots to help the huskies out when there is no snow.:D
I don't know what Scottish law says about it, but English law bans the use of dogs as beasts of burden to pull trailers of any kind. Despite that, in some parts of both England and Wales, huskies are used to pull wheeled trike sleds in competitive events, this shown on national TV at times, another example of the law seemingly turning a blind eye as it seems to with some of the things we do with e-bikes.