Someone make this snow go away!!

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I don't know what Scottish law says about it, but English law bans the use of dogs as beasts of burden to pull trailers of any kind. Despite that, in some parts of both England and Wales, huskies are used to pull wheeled trike sleds in competitive events, this shown on national TV at times, another example of the law seemingly turning a blind eye as it seems to with some of the things we do with e-bikes.
Perhaps Huskies are exempt?

I think that the law turns a blind eye unless there is public concern. The public seem to accept that huskies have been bred for such activities and do not believe that the huskies are being harmed by the experience.

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
This is the time I'm so glad I got a bike not a car as my main transport - the roads round here are mostly snow+ice and llittered with abandoned cars, but that doesn't stop me :D

Although the freezing temperatures has been playing havoc with my gears, keeps getting stuck in first and the brakes froze up when I left it outside today.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps Huskies are exempt?

I think that the law turns a blind eye unless there is public concern. The public seem to accept that huskies have been bred for such activities and do not believe that the huskies are being harmed by the experience.
No exemption for huskies, but it's an old law from a time when abuse could well have been more likely. Not really relevant here now, especially with fun activities like these. Dog trailers are used elsewhere, I've seen photos of St Bernards towing them in Switzerland.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
is there a reason at all why city buses dont have snow chains available....to keep local transport operational?
I noticed that London buses come to a halt before other vehicles and it turns out they have near slicks fitted all year round, they don't need snow chain but just decent tyres.

Fun in my road last night, just after I started on the hill one car went sliding past me into the kerb and just up ahead another car turned sideways and ploughed into the fence. I didn't try coming down it this morning but took the long way round on main roads.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I noticed that London buses come to a halt before other vehicles and it turns out they have near slicks fitted all year round, they don't need snow chain but just decent tyres.
Tyres with large area flat surface profiles are the norm on trucks too, why they also fail to grip early in slippery conditions.

These tyres are necessary for a reasonable life on heavy vehicles, since deep treaded tyres carrying high weights on roads don't last very long due to the lack of support area. Since snow occurs rarely and for so little of the year, it would make no economic sense to use deep tread profiles.

Even if they were used, the many cars using low profile tyres which are equally useless in snow would still bring the roads to a halt.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I was interested to note this morning whilst clearing the close I live in that our postie has Mud & Snow tyres fitted, he had no trouble climbing our small incline...

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I don't know what Scottish law says about it, but English law bans the use of dogs as beasts of burden to pull trailers of any kind. Despite that, in some parts of both England and Wales, huskies are used to pull wheeled trike sleds in competitive events, this shown on national TV at times, another example of the law seemingly turning a blind eye as it seems to with some of the things we do with e-bikes.
When I worked for Defra I remember seeing this in the Protection of Animals Act 1911 but am unsure if the new legislation has changed things slightly.

there was an issue with an insufficient number of normal large breed family dogs being made to haul their entire families in carts which is why the law was brought in, although I have books which hint that as recently as 1969 there was an off license in Sudbury where you could order cases of booze and it was brought to you by a dog cart!

I think in more recent the RSPCA and other authorities adopt a pragmatic approach to this sort of activity, only acting where there is geniune cruelty. I am very fond of nature and try to be kind to animals whenever possible, but wouldn't have a problem if I could get a couple of Staffies to bring me a sled or cart loaded up with cases of Adnams :D

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Tyres with large area flat surface profiles are the norm on trucks too, why they also fail to grip early in slippery conditions.

These tyres are necessary for a reasonable life on heavy vehicles, since deep treaded tyres carrying high weights on roads don't last very long due to the lack of support area. Since snow occurs rarely and for so little of the year, it would make no economic sense to use deep tread profiles.

Even if they were used, the many cars using low profile tyres which are equally useless in snow would still bring the roads to a halt.
I wouldn't have thought that a 'tread' would make any positive difference on a motor vehicle on an icy or powdery snow surface. If you haven't got studs or snow chains (which effectively cut into the surface) what you need is surface area in contact with the road, as the recesses in a tread would either clog up with snow or not contribute materially on an icy surface.

As far as bus tyres are concerned, much the same consideration applies in the rain at the moderate speeds a town bus travels. In general, the tread contributes to sweeping away surface water but doesn't provide grip in itself, and at low speeds it's rather less important.

Where a tread might contribute more directly in terms of grip would be where the surface is soft but sticky (i.e. on mud or damp earth). These conditions don't usually apply in icy conditions with or without snow. Even partly melted snow doesn't have much cohesion, as most of us will have discovered well enough while on foot from time to time.

I can vouch that much more important in general is the composition of the rubber mix from which the tyre is made. A 'soft' mix has better grip in all conditions, as it conforms to the surface with which it is in contact and can be made with a higher stickiness so the coefficient of friction with the road surface is higher. The downside, as Flecc suggested, is the rate of wear. With heavy goods vehicles the tyres have to carry sutained high loads and need to be 'stiff' so as not to flex unduly. In the case of a car tyre more surface area in contact with the road can be designed in by making the tyre more flexible (i.e. a radial carcass) and also wider and low-profile, as usually there isn't so much weight involved.

Motorcycle tyres are these days made from a soft mix because good grip outweighs long life (and the manufacturers don't complain either). Racing tyres are also a very soft mix and have a very short life, and guess what? No tread at all if the race is expected to take place in dry conditions. If the road is dry, you maximise the contact area and therefore maximise the grip. There's no water to clear away as the wheels rotate.

It's only my opinion of course. I haven't got loads of scientific evidence to back it up. There must be something to argue about in here!

Rog.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hi Rog,

I agree about the compound and it is particularly important in cold weather where harder compounds become even harder.

Most tyres designed for ice and snow have big block patterns with tread close to right angles to the direction of travel; the idea being that they bite into the snow or ice to gain traction. Even if they only go a little way in (as on very solid ice) they will still make a difference. A slick would effectively distribute the weight of the vehicle across the whole contact patch, making skidding much more likely.

Just my opinion also and I am happy to be shown to be wrong.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agreed on compounds and I was referring to deep profile self cleaning treads above, such as seen on tractors and true cross country multi wheel drive vehicles. These do improve the grip on snow despite it's nature, since they are able to gain extra grip by lateral compaction, in addition to the forward traction. This simulates an increase in traction width.

Not only opinion, since I've worked in all branches of the vehicle trades including on trucks for some while, and I have six years of army experience on twin and multi-wheel drives with traction tyres.

Last edited:

LazyViking

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2009
Agattu is great bike for cycling in winter

I've really tested my Agattu this winter. Even with temperatures below -10 deg. C. the motor/battery has plenty of power to make my 5 mile cycling commute sweat free and fun.

You need studded tyres if you want to stay upright. My last set of Nokian studded tyres cost £80 but they lasted 10 years too. Normally studded tyres mean a lot more work for the cyclist (more rolling resistance), but for a pedelec it just means lower top speeds and less battery range.

Of course ice/snow means lower speeds, staying well away from cars and wearing protective gear for when you fall off. In addition you get a lot of people telling you how crazy you are, but I think the car drivers are crazy sitting in the car queue while I zoom past getting both a light work out and some fresh air. If conditions get too bad I can always lock up my bike and walk, whereas the car drivers have to stay in the queue.

Regards,

--LazyViking

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You need studded tyres if you want to stay upright. My last set of Nokian studded tyres cost £80 but they lasted 10 years too. Normally studded tyres mean a lot more work for the cyclist (more rolling resistance), but for a pedelec it just means lower top speeds and less battery range.
If only we could be sure of snow every year, we could do things the Scandinavian way and have spare wheels with studded tyres already on and swap to them every winter when the snow arrives, since studs are so good in these conditions.

Of course we often go more than a decade with no snow at all over much of the UK, so only an option for the very rich. :(

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I wouldn't have thought that a 'tread' would make any positive difference on a motor vehicle on an icy or powdery snow surface. If you haven't got studs or snow chains (which effectively cut into the surface) what you need is surface area in contact with the road, as the recesses in a tread would either clog up with snow or not contribute materially on an icy surface.
As mentioned by others a better tread can help and many snow and ice car tyres have no studs.
A better explanation here:
All Season vs. Winter (Passenger Vehicle): The Difference Between Wintertime Gripping and White Knuckle Snow Slipping

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd see dogs pulling a trap many times in France in the Forest of Cerisy near where I lived. The dogs seemed to love it.
Thanks lemmy. I think all dogs love anything that involves going somewhere or coming back. A neighbours dog scratches furiously at the outer front door in a mad rush to get out, then does the same on return in an equally mad rush to get back in.

A bit like some keen e-bikers in cold weather. :D

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
i've been out and about in the snow lately. i think having an electric bike makes a massive difference. when riding on churned up slush i quit pedaling and just use the throttle to propel me allong whilst sticking my legs out like ski's. you end up slipping and sliding all over the place but you don't come off. it's like having a 4 wheel drive bicycle :) its really tuff on the arms though.

i have wrapped nichrome heater wire around my handle bars to keep my hands toasty and warm, gloves are just not enough. my bike is kept in the unheated conservetry and the temperature is around 1*C. my range has taken a massive dent. the cold weather has really affected my batteries and pushing through snow makes matters worse. the first time out in the snow my range went down to a quater of what it usually is before the BMS cuts out.

every time i bring my bike back in the house i have to brush off the snow or it will flood the conservatory! skidding and sliding down hills sideways more than makes up for these hardships tho :)

Last edited:

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
Excellent bonzai scene Chris, Well done. Itching to get out on my Rush Trek, but can' t bring myself to put it in harms way.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I braved the elements today and took the Alien out for a spin to the local Co-op for emergency supplies :) Great fun, had to learn a new riding technique to get through the rutted icy stuff but managed 6.5miles without mishap.

Interestingly, I thought to myself that without a throttle I'd never have been able to manage it!

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
...Interestingly, I thought to myself that without a throttle I'd never have been able to manage it!
Absolutely, that IS one up on the crank drive system :)