Someone make this snow go away!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My school experiences are similar to all of those, but to add to the torture my school included Saturday mornings to 1 pm as well.

I did have one different caning experience ultimately though. I had been dragged into the headmaster for caning so many times that on the last occasion he refused to cane me, saying to the assistant headmaster who had taken me in there, "What's the point, it isn't doing any good is it?"

You can imagine my feeling of triumph at that point, I'd won in the end. :D

It was a heck of a struggle to prevent myself from grinning ear to ear!

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
We had at least two psychopaths as teachers who would on occasions break out into uncontrollable rage. On one occasion a maths teacher tried to hoist a boy out the first floor window during a class....a load of us had to jump on him, when he came out of his rage he started passing money around. If this happened today it would be front page news, but being picked up by your ears, lashed with a cane, slapped etc...where normal:rolleyes:
Same experience here but only one psychopath and it was the ground floor fortunately. Ours took special tablets and his eyes rolled up so you could just see the whites.:eek: I well remember one lad been carried out on a stretcher by the PE teachers after a slam to the wall and knee to the stomach. Pump, cane, size 12 trainer, rule, syringe full of cold water down the back of the neck, thrown chalk - I had em all and I was quite well behaved:confused: Never had the money thing though.

I did have one different caning experience ultimately though. I had been dragged into the headmaster for caning so many times that on the last occasion he refused to cane me, saying to the assistant headmaster who had taken me in there, "What's the point, it isn't doing any good is it?"

You can imagine my feeling of triumph at that point, I'd won in the end. :D

It was a heck of a struggle to prevent myself from grinning ear to ear!
I was more fortunate. The 3rd years in the queue for the headmasters office told me to get a hand towell and put it down the back off my trousers like they were. Surprisingly we all got away with it and it worked a treat. Big Grin.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Ah! I had forgot about the throwing of chalk and blackboard rubbers!...you know the heavy wooden type, gave you quite a bruise if they were accurate shots.......Then there was the slamming of head into desk from behind as the psycho walked around (a geography version in this case)

Like all abusers they probably experienced similar or worse themselves. My Dad told me of the horrors of being taught by the "Christian brothers" in Ireland...Yiu know the ones? who literally raped thousands of children........

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Sounds horrendous. I never went to an RC school myself. It was my experience that co-eds were a lot more laid back though. All boys was more like a toughening up exercise for the next war. Still the really violent stuff, as ever, down to a small minority of warped individuals.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Teacher... leave those kids alone.

Ah! I had forgot about the throwing of chalk and blackboard rubbers!...you know the heavy wooden type, gave you quite a bruise if they were accurate shots.......Then there was the slamming of head into desk from behind as the psycho walked around (a geography version in this case)........
Lawks'a'mercy, those blackboard rubbers bring back some dusty/chalky memories, i was at boarding school for 10 years, and the Masters used to lord it over us figuring we could hardly run home & tell tales, we had a 'nutcase' maths teacher whose speciality was the edge of a wooden ruler across the knuckles for any perceived mis-behaviour, wow that hurt... until the day i 'lost it', snatched the ruler from him and beat him around the ears with it until he fled the room, i suffered a month of detention for that, but he never hit me again and always gave me a wide berth, so i still reckon it was worth it, unfortunately, the large & very fit PE teacher took it badly and i paid in many other ways.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I Really hate this weather!

Well, London today is yet again covered in reasonably deep snow....Looks like we are in for a long winter.

main roads at a standstill this morning, my son had to walk to school, and local councils have the cheek to blame others as usual for their lack of foresight regards salt/grit provision. :rolleyes:
Hi Eddieo

Blimey I haven't been on here for a while :)

Here too, gridlocked this morn but fortunately had a lift but last Wednesday was like a ghost town while the Taxi safely took me to work all be it half hour late. I was one of 18 out of 200 odd in the office that day and the other 180 odd got paid!! Mmmmm but may be getting a bottle of bolly and my taxi paid? :cool:

I haven't been riding my trusty Wisper SE for couple of weeks due to a couple of nasty falls last year on the ice which put me off! :(

Roll on spring or at least non icy conditions so I can enjoy my bike again!!

Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
[QUOTE) As a novice rider I don't want to scare the beezeezus out of myself by risking a snowy ride but I think there is is a limit to the fun I can have riding up and down the hall!

priscilla[/QUOTE]

Hi Priscilla
I too haven't been able to ride my Wisper SE due to the awful weather even down here in Farnborough Hants!
You will love it when you finally get out and about!! I wouldn't be without mine! Had it two years now and I can't fault it!
The guys at Wisper are great too :cool:
I haven't posted for a while but am back now.
Let us know how you get on
Mandy :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Mandy, the bad weather is at least responsible for you paying us a visit again!:) The thing is, so many wisper owners are just to satisfied to post:D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
This rain is miserable, I want the snow back.
I was out in car early this morning:eek: and there where a lot of bikes on the road in the rain....... later on I dropped my daughter at the station and on way back I saw a white bike in the distances he was flying along, I was surprised by the speed....... Could not see what it was except it was a very big bike maybe a kalkhoff/swiss S who knows....

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The rain is miserable. Also all the roads are now completely potholed, especially the curb side. So you never know if that puddle is a puddle or a foot drop into a hole. Best to take a position to go around them but then I was "skimmed" by a couple of drivers today doing just that, so you cannot win.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I'm in Holland all this week. Its still covered in a blanket of snow.
I'm very impressed with the way the cycle paths have been de-iced and kept clear.

Sadly, I haven't got to use them. I only get to see them through the window of the luxury coach as the organisers move us around from conference room to hotel to restaurant.

Nick

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
Been for a proper cycle - at last!

I have been 'holed-up' for over a fortnight now. The generally miserable conditions have cut short the forays I have attempted. Today I finally got out for a 25 mile cycle. I have really missed it....
Flecc, your earlier post about Saturday morning school. Did you not (as I did) get Wednesday pm off as inadequate recompense? (there were 5 periods am and only 2 pm. You also got to do sport wed pm in what was deemed your 'own' time :( )

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Flecc, your earlier post about Saturday morning school. Did you not (as I did) get Wednesday pm off as inadequate recompense? (there were 5 periods am and only 2 pm. You also got to do sport wed pm in what was deemed your 'own' time :( )
Still the case in prep schools and pre-prep schools into the 1980s (believe it or not I did briefly attend one of these. Boarding as well. It was like HMYOI with lessons instead of being in the cells..). Seemed to be a lot of PT of various kinds - which I was no good at then; ironically now in my thirties I am probably fitter than many youths half my age..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's right Nick, though in my case it was a full Wednesday afternoon of "sport", making it a compulsory five and a half day school week. :(

One of the many reasons I was rebellious enough for them to be forced to expel me, allowing me to escape from the tyranny and get out to work.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
went out for a nice ride today...First time since before Christmas. my cycling trousers have got a bit tight around the waist:rolleyes:My daughter managed to find me a thin beenie? that fits under helmet so very comfortable riding now, no more brain freeze

9 deg in London lunch time (now 9) and bright and sunny. roads not to bad, I noticed more potholes driving the car the other day

However! this may not be over, BBC weather says snow possible again this week:eek:

I wont be leavin the bike anywhere soon after Nicks bad news.....Both chain and D lock from now on, plus taking battery with me.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Hi Eddie - Bright and sunny and 1st time out for a couple of weeks myself. I feel better already. Those potholes are no joke though - I don't fancy riding in the dark. :eek:

Heavy snow forecast for Wednesday here :(

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I don`t really know what the answer is to protecting your bike away from home. Pros don`t ride them away they just throw them into the back of a van.

Has anyone ever fitted a tracker in the tubes?
I wonder if they are familiar with valuable bikes and what to take and what to leave alone like cars.

I was going to talk to our local council who are always pushing the green bit. In our local town I only know of one spot where you can chain a bike up and that is off the beaten track.

What is the ultimate deterrent?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What is the ultimate deterrent?
Many cyclists carry a small dog on the back in a basket and a few of our members also do at times.

Even a relatively small dog that bares it's teeth and snarls at strangers when left tied to the bike could be very effective, especially if it's bone is tied to the lock used. :D

Last edited: