Trade versus Non Trade Membership?

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The answer to me is to have two accounts, a Trade account and a private account.
If as a Trade member you post anything that can be considered as an advert, then Trade membership covers it.
Opinions, general banter etc. are covered by your private membership.
The problem is when a genuinely private member wants to tell everyone about the fantastic XYZ bike he has just bought, but because he does not have a trade connection, it is allowed, although in a sense it is advertising.
Poor old EddieO used to drive me mad with his constant praising of the latest German bike and rubbishing of anything Chinese, to the point that I suspected that he was German.
But, he was just an enthusiast, who really liked German bikes and wanted to tell us all about them.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Exactly my point, maybe you should consider editing all the posts where this has occurred - - might take you a while though;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I think a good point has been made here. If a person is posting in the capacity of representing a product manufacturer or retailer, then that should be done under a trade account. General advice, banter and questions are fine under a personal account.

I don't believe anything had been done with the intent to deceive or to be in anyway disingenuous, but mixing trade posts with personal posts will always cause issues.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
this thread comes about because of my posts about the new woosh Bermuda that I helped to make.
that's mean, don't you think?

this thread comes about because of my posts about the new woosh Bermuda that I helped to make.
no ... personally I think, if you're working for the brand, which in this case you clearly are then you need a trade account.

or, if your posting about trade stuff, don't do it with your personal account, get Woosh to do it.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I think any trader would do themselves a favour by being totally transparent. There really is no benefit in disguising a trade account.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
no ... personally I think, if you're working for the brand, which in this case you clearly are then you need a trade account.

or, if your posting about trade stuff, don't do it with your personal account, get Woosh to do it.
what makes that particular thread 'trade stuff' though?

other than the pictures, the information on the woosh Bermuda thread that I posted are from the prototype, therefore can't be confirmed until the shipment arrive in a few weeks. I can't see any harm in posting a bit of technical specs.

I genuinely can't see why John and Bob made such a big issue from this.

• Agree
Reactions: electrickery

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I think any trader would do themselves a favour by being totally transparent. There really is no benefit in disguising a trade account.
I don't for one second doubt that you're not an official trade member Bob, but wonder why it has you as a Pedelecer and not Offical Trade Member?

(Admin note - our error Artstu - and well spotted! Now amended)

ETA Thank you Admin.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it's about perception Trex, I have a great respect for your posts in all areas of this forum and mostly find myself in agreement with you.

But rightly or wrongly, I perceive you as a salesman for Woosh. This is due to your regular recommendation of a suitable Woosh model on most threads asking for advice for an e-bike to buy.

I've also often recommended a Woosh model, but at the same time I also recommend suitable models from other suppliers, giving links for all. I also take care to randomly vary the order in which I present them.

I feel certain that many regular members have exactly the same perception as me of your status, due to us seeing all your posts that recommend a Woosh model. The problem arises for new members asking for advice, since all they see at that time is your one reply to them.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The answer to me is to have two accounts, a Trade account and a private account.
If as a Trade member you post anything that can be considered as an advert, then Trade membership covers it.
Opinions, general banter etc. are covered by your private membership.
The problem is when a genuinely private member wants to tell everyone about the fantastic XYZ bike he has just bought, but because he does not have a trade connection, it is allowed, although in a sense it is advertising.
Poor old EddieO used to drive me mad with his constant praising of the latest German bike and rubbishing of anything Chinese, to the point that I suspected that he was German.
But, he was just an enthusiast, who really liked German bikes and wanted to tell us all about them.
Mike, woosh have a trade account, Andy or Hatti normally post there. They are always busy, so don't have much time to post unless it's a corporate issue (eg somebody makes a complaint).
I am retired for a few years now, so have plenty of time to post.
Sometime I post about a new product, other time just a a bit of help to members who got a woosh bike and into a bit of bother.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Mike, woosh have a trade account, Andy or Hatti normally post there. They are always busy, so don't have much time to post unless it's a corporate issue (eg somebody makes a complaint).
Sometime I post about a new product, other time just a a bit of help to members who got a woosh bike and into a bit of bother.
Having access to the Woosh log in details could be the answer then. Then when you recommend a Woosh bike everyone can see you're from Woosh, or at least posting with their interests at heart.

I too know you have a connection to Woosh, but it isn't obvious to new members. It isn't an issue for me, but I can see why it is for other trade members.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think it's about perception Trex, I have a great respect for your posts in all areas of this forum and mostly find myself in agreement with you.

But rightly or wrongly, I perceive you as a salesman for Woosh. This is due to your regular recommendation of a suitable Woosh model on most threads asking for advice for an e-bike to buy.

I've also often recommended a Woosh model, but at the same time I also recommend suitable models from other suppliers, giving links for all. I also take care to randomly vary the order in which I present them.

I feel certain that many regular members have exactly the same perception as me of your status, due to us seeing all your posts that recommend a Woosh model. The problem arises for new members asking for advice, since all they see at that time is your one reply to them.
about recommendations, it usually takes me a second or two to think of a suitable model for the OP, so the temptation is there to save Hatti and/or Andy's time to post. I also find sometimes embarassing to recommend a bike that I have not ridden.
if there is an issue of perception about these posts, would this form of words be satisfactory? Taking example from the other thread mentioned by Shemoz,

Mich,

I know woosh would recommend to you their Santana2. This bike will suit your height, weight, the type of terrains you ride and your budget.
Please contact them for more details.

link to the web page and picture of the bike etc..

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Trex, you always come across as a knowledgeable, polite and reasonable man who checks his facts before posting. So let me make it clear that as far as I am concerned you are not perceived as a shifty dishonest person.

I do think you need to seperate the two capacities under which you contribute to the forum, trex the Woosh advisor / employee and trex the helpful bloke.

Can't you log into the Woosh account to post promotional or technical information regarding their products?

When I read reviews, I pay more attention to what Joe Public says about an item than the seller or manufacturer. That's why it needs to be crystal clear what capacity you are posting under.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Tillson, I can ask to have access to the woosh account but I can't tret on their toes (Hatti's and Andy's, Andy will take over from Hatti in a few years when she retires), they will tell me where to go.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I genuinely can't see why John and Bob made such a big issue from this.
Just offering good advice that I truly think any trader would benefit from.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
would you be happy with the form of words I suggested in post #33?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
would you be happy with the form of words I suggested in post #33?
It's just advice. I'm happy either way. But I honestly think you'd do well by adding a logo and actively appearing transparent.

Last edited:
Reactions: timidtom

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The adding of the admin "note for clarity" signature below trex posts is pretty, um... clear.

When I joined I asked myself a few questions about your status and link with woosh trex but it quickly became clear in my mind. Now new users have your signature to go by which dots all the "i"s and crosses all the "t"s in my view.

Disclaimer: I am now a Woosh client so will probably be raving on about their excellent customer service (so far) in future posts.