Trade versus Non Trade Membership?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
This isn't a hard one to solve. If you're working for Woosh, which you clearly are if you're handling their posts on this forum and designing bikes, then you need a trade login. Why is it a problem for you to get a trade login so there is no confusion?
it's difficult because my views are personal. If I happen to make a recommendation, it may not be the same that woosh would make if the customer calls their phone. A typical example: I like crank drive bikes, woosh people don't, for them, Big Bears are the ones.

Reactions: mike killay
it's difficult because my views are personal. If I happen to make a recommendation, it may not be the same that woosh would make if the customer calls their phone. A typical example: I like crank drive bikes, woosh people don't, for them, Big Bears are the ones.
That is EXACTLY the same as me! Of course anyone who works for any company has personal views. But when you post on here, because Woosh don't have time to do it, you are working for them.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If you wanted a woosh crank drive bike, you ring in, they will probably ask for your age if they can't suss it. If you are not a pensioner, they'll ask more questions. It's to do with whether you are more or less likely to derestrict the bike. Hub bikes don't get so scrutinized. The process has to be followed, so I am forbidden to post recommendations in their place.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
Are there any posters not connected to industry or trying to sell something ??? ( I have no smilie for tongue in cheek)

My app for bike recommendation would be easy...
Crank Drive...bosch or yam...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that's an easy choice if you have the funds.
the biggest worry for woosh is derestriction so I have to use geared hubs, especially those with high reduction ratios.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
if there is an issue of perception about these posts, would this form of words be satisfactory? Taking example from the other thread mentioned by Shemoz,
I don't think it's necessary to do that, and if you are still seen as almost always recommending Woosh, that wording wouldn't alter the perception. After all, Woosh staff would recommend Woosh, so we could all use that wording.

Like Tillson, I believe your integrity beyond question. The perception only comes from you so regularly recommending the various models of one brand. Hence we see you as selling for that brand, rather than independently proffering opinions on suitable bikes for the inquirer.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
perhaps the solution is a semi-trade account with a signature like this 'Although I am an associate of Woosh Bikes, this account is for personal use, views are my own.'.
There must surely be a number of members in similar situation, working for or connected in some capacity to e-bike companies. The status of 'associates' may apply to them.
Examples of associates: friends or family of staff, contractors etc.. they may not have an active role in the commercial entities but have nevertheless an interest in the commercial success of such entities.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
mechaniker has a signature like that

perhaps the solution is a semi-trade account with a signature like this 'Although I am an associate of Woosh Bikes, this account is for personal use, views are my own.'.
There must surely be a number of members in similar situation, working for or connected in some capacity to e-bike companies. The status of 'associates' may apply to them.
Examples of associates: friends or family of staff, contractors etc.. they may not have an active role in the commercial entities but have nevertheless an interest in the commercial success of such entities.
That would make sense, but you've said in your posts that you design bikes for them, and post for them on here because they don't have time to.

I don't work for KTM, I'm not paid by KTM... but when I post on here I am essentially representing them, so I have a logo. You really should do the same.

• Agree
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can see that. Except most of the time, I participate to the forum on a hobby basis (e-bike technology) and also, it's awkward to make a technical comment on an issue with a product when wearing a logo. Some people may think that you are biased because the entity you are associated with does not use the product. Example: clutch unit on XD motors.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with all that. I try to be an active member of the forum and help with issues with all brands of bikes and to help people understand things from an industry perspective. I also learn a lot.

But its important people know that I have a relationship with KTM. I'm sure if you were clear about your replationship with Woosh it wouldn't diminish your input. The fact the relationship is slightly hidden actually still there means that everyone is going to assume you're biased anyway. So best just be up front about it, and try to be honest.

• Agree
Reactions: JuicyBike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I accept there was ambiguity.

A few months ago, this was resolved by HelenJ adding
'Admin note for clarity: While this is a personal user account, the Trex account has an association with Woosh.'
There has not been ambiguity since.

The problem resurfaces when John felt that I crossed the line with my thread on my new shiny toy.

It's irritating to John. I accept that. I am not worried about members thinking that I am biased towards supporting woosh. If I post under woosh account and sign as trex, that would cause confusion because if anyone reading the post and calls woosh about it, they'll know nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: electrickery

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
he is the boss of fli distribution ltd which imports KTM products.
I would suggest Col gets given an associate account so he can post freely about all sorts of issues as an ordinary member and not held in a straightjacket with KTM badge on the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Croxden
he is the boss of fli distribution ltd which imports KTM products.
I would suggest Col gets given an associate account so he can post freely about all sorts of issues as an ordinary member and not held in a straightjacket with KTM badge on the back.
I chose the KTM badge :) and its quite comfy, I'm sure I could change it to a FLi one, but that would just confuse people because now one outside of the trade really needs to know or care who FLi is.

Reactions: Jimod and flecc

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Trex advises on woosh. Although I have seen him recommend oxygen recently.
It's not really an issue for KTM as their bikes are suitable for a different customer. I don't think anyone asking for a full sus high performance bike for off-road use is going to really consider a whoosh Galileo

I think his integrity is good. What we need is more testers for the kudos bikes to balance the recommendations

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I can see the trade point here,the small print at the bottom saying trex has an association with woosh,is a bit like the big retail company sale offers,most people only see the big 50% discount on offer,they miss the bit at the bottom stating it had only been at the higher price for 21 days or whatever,so people see the recommendation, and miss the association or do not see it as a direct plug from woosh,although trex may not see himself as a salesman for woosh and may well not be employed as such,a close association to the company and access to the products,would probably sway judgement towards that companys products,im sure if I got to ride and long term tested the latest products,and helped come up with new designs and other input ,for my love of electric bikes I would do it for free,to show my appreciation the brand would get very positive reviews from me,im sure you do not see it yourself, but just helping out on something you love can cloud your judjement.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I see your point, Paul.

I think any plug for woosh from now on will have to be under woosh trade account and signed as 'this post is by an associate (trex)'.

if replies to questions are subsequently needed in the same thread, for example, would it fly up Winnats? would it be OK that the replies are from the non commercial account?