Which helmet for ebike? What do you use?

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
What kind of helmets you are wearing with ebikes? I use full face motocross helmet during winter but need something more ventilated for summers. Any suggestions? For my commute I average 18 mph(30km/h) and max speed 45km/h. Mips is good thing to have in helmet.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I wear a bush hat mainly.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
What kind of helmets you are wearing with ebikes? I use full face motocross helmet during winter but need something more ventilated for summers. Any suggestions? For my commute I average 18 mph(30km/h) and max speed 45km/h. Mips is good thing to have in helmet.
I bought a designated ebike helmet from Halfords 12 months ago, and I'm very happy with it. I only have a 'normal' ebike ie not dongled and not S-pedelec so technically any helmet would have done but this one is built to a higher spec which includes thicker polystyrene, slightly more coverage, and a built in light. Overall it is a more robust helmet than the average and for £40, (now £45), was very reasonable. We all know the legal position re helmets, but it simply makes common sense to me to adopt sensible precautions as cyclists are perhaps the least protected of all road users.

Reactions: jarob10

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
I bought a designated ebike helmet from Halfords 12 months ago, and I'm very happy with it. I only have a 'normal' ebike ie not dongled and not S-pedelec so technically any helmet would have done but this one is built to a higher spec which includes thicker polystyrene, slightly more coverage, and a built in light. Overall it is a more robust helmet than the average and for £40, (now £45), was very reasonable. We all know the legal position re helmets, but it simply makes common sense to me to adopt sensible precautions as cyclists are perhaps the least protected of all road users.

Looks nice, but it's missing mips. I was thinking about getting some mtb style helmet which have good coverage and mips also. Something like this: https://www.bikester.co.uk/met-echo-mips-helmet-black-matte-1198717.html

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Looks nice, but it's missing mips. I was thinking about getting some mtb style helmet which have good coverage and mips also. Something like this: https://www.bikester.co.uk/met-echo-mips-helmet-black-matte-1198717.html
Yes, they look ok, and only £20 more. I'd never heard of MIPS 12 months ago! Its all a question of balancing risk against cost, I suppose. In 40 years I've been knocked off the bike once, and fallen off once when trying to uncleat! Having said that £65 is no money.

Reactions: mt247

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
Yes, they look ok, and only £20 more. I'd never heard of MIPS 12 months ago! Its all a question of balancing risk against cost, I suppose. In 40 years I've been knocked off the bike once, and fallen off once when trying to uncleat! Having said that £65 is no money.
Yeah I heard MIPS about yesterday myself. And found out website where Virginia tech university ranked helmets and found out that ones with MIPS were better: https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-news/virginia-tech-tested-and-rated-the-safest-bike-helmets-finds-mips-is-the-best-for-reducing-concussions/

Test methodology:

Test results:

Reactions: Phil Dryden

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: mt247

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
What is this thing about having matt black cycle helmets!!!

surely white, yellow or some other bright colour would be better????

reminds me of an article I read in a mountaineering magazine many years ago where a mountain rescue team was moaning about the fashion for green and brown walking gear - which is fine until you fall over and need rescuing and no-one can see you!!

you know when they say "sorry mate - didn't see you" - my attitude it to be able to point to a s**t load of bright, reflective and flashing stuff and ask them "how???"

so I ain't getting no black helmet

but I would like one with a light - making my rear lights up to 4

sorry -
end rant

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
not exactly sleek and cool looking!
and the ebay site is short on testing standard info

I mean - it looks great on the model - but then a mucky XXL boiler suit would look good on her

I know safety comes first but there are limits

D

Deleted member 33385

not exactly sleek and cool looking!
and the ebay site is short on testing standard info

I mean - it looks great on the model - but then a mucky XXL boiler suit would look good on her

I know safety comes first but there are limits

I'll look for a CE label before actually using it on the road. Yes it looks awful - if it's comfortable and practical to wear while cycling, I'll try to find something which looks cooler, which does the same thing ie provide 360 degree, visibility while keeping my ears warm and protecting my chin... or I'll cover it with a hi viz reflecive skull design... pirate flag... or something... This design of helmet is in many kung fu movies - in black, on black clad evil motorbike riders. Not so much in yellow. I hope they haven't sent me the wrong colour - a pink one would require a respray, even for gardening use...

Last edited:

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
I'll look for a CE label before actually using it on the road. Yes it looks awful - if it's comfortable and practical to wear while cycling, I'll try to find something which looks cooler, which does the same thing ie provide 360 degree, visibility while keeping my ears warm and protecting my chin... or I'll cover it with a hi viz reflecive skull design... pirate flag... or something... This design of helmet is in many kung fu movies - in black, on black clad evil motorbike riders. Not so much in yellow. I hope they haven't sent me the wrong colour - a pink one would require a respray, even for gardening use...
These have fake ce markings and there are also the china export one:

D

Deleted member 33385

These have fake ce markings and there are also the china export one:

Cheers for that! This helmet was cheap punt - I like the big visor design. If it isn't safe to use, I'll look for something similar - I tried riding glasses but the nose bridge was too visible, also tried ski goggles but they steam up in very cold weather, offer too narrow a view and don't fit under the helmet. A big visor helmet with lots of air movement behind it, is the way to go for me methinks...

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
Cheers for that! This helmet was cheap punt - I like the big visor design. If it isn't safe to use, I'll look for something similar - I tried riding glasses but the nose bridge was too visible, also tried ski goggles but they steam up in very cold weather, offer too narrow a view and don't fit under the helmet. A big visor helmet with lots of air movement behind it, is the way to go for me methinks...
There are helmets like this, but they are a bit more expensive ones like Bell Mx9:

Also some skiing helmets have visors and they are under 100€:

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

Those are
There are helmets like this, but they are a bit more expensive ones like Bell Mx9:

Also some skiing helmets have visors and they are under 100€:

Those look great! I'll see how this one shapes up (probably) tomorrow and then start looking for something better. I like that the yellow helmet from China is a full face visor - just flip up, zero obstruction to vision. It'll probably be cr*p lol.

mt247

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2020
Those are

Those look great! I'll see how this one shapes up (probably) tomorrow and then start looking for something better. I like that the yellow helmet from China is a full face visor - just flip up, zero obstruction to vision. It'll probably be cr*p lol.
Yeah these ski helmets should be quite warm. You can get visor ones even under 60£ from sale:

Reactions: pentiumofborg