E-bike Of The Year

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i notice there is an agattu hub motor bike being launched,will the probable best bike of 2008 panasonic powered version still be available.
That's the Jubilee model that I mentioned above Paul, which Kalkhoff don't call an Agattu, and it's an addition to the German range, the Agattu and Tasman with the Panasonic unit still in the range. Whether 50cycles bring in all models in the now very large range is another thing though, we'll have to see.

Last edited:

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Hi
peeps,
old osc back in UK after a bit of a trip to Portugal et al;
Best BIke..... Kalkoff.. having tried some friends Bikes in Portugal, Spain, France,localised and imported..everyone was a bit envious of my Kalkoff.....I dont have real 'friends' in that sence being on the move a lot, but meet people whilst travelling...Kalcoff ..excited a lot of comment..among people who had a leccy and people who wanted one..(Porto, and Lisbon especially)..being a bit 'middle class' ,
(who else speaks a foreign language).
The Kalcoff excited attention becuse of its STYLE..
(pardon this I was tought by an Italian)) I have perfected the art of stopping the Kalcoff, and dismounting..this involves gliding to exactly where you wish ,pausing...dismounting by using the right leg to toutch ground FIRST exactly where you wish,.kicking the stand out, and walking away..(after locking)...Laugh all you wish...The English do not seem to appreciate style (even faux) we seem to like a bit of sweat...
Try doing that on any other Bike..looks ...

So I claim 4 votes..France Spain Portugal (Germany)

oldosc

Pedelecer
May 12, 2008
Sod it, it's christmas

As I cycle along the strand
With my Aggatu under my hand
The people turn and stare
Say he must be a millionair
To ride a Bike like that
He must have robbed the Bank at Monte Carlo

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I'm going to have to go with my Galileo by Powered Bicycles. I'm not sure if it was released this year but I think it may well have been. As far as I've seen it's the best specced electric mountain bike on the market (imagine an Infineum but with full suspension and dual disk brakes). It's one heck of a good looking MTB too.

I've tackled some serious off-road tracks on this bike and it's never let me down, plus the fact that it's the most comfortable commute I've ever experienced (you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to a non-full-suspension bike!).

Last edited:

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I've had a ProConnect for 5 months and I have really enjoyed it. It is very fast, great at climbing hills and with a sprung seat post it is reasonably comfortable. It has 'style' and it doesn't look like a quirky ebike which I wanted to avoid.
The battery has been returned this week for replacement and so I had to get out my 3 year old Giant Lafree Twist ST. Charged the battery and it was up and running without any problems after standing idle for the past 5 months. It certainly was (still is) a classic bike and oozes quality. It is a pity Giant didn't develop it along the lines of the Kalkoffs - I'm sure they would have had a winner.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
No offence to anyone who has already commented, but with 1150 people have looked at this thread, disappointingly, only a handful have posted so far:( So come guys, let’s hear from you.
Well I only have the Pro Connect, Agattu and the awful Giant Twist 2.0 to make my assessment on because these are the only ebikes that i have ridden. So by now you know it is going to be a Kalkhoff that gets my vote.

I own a Pro Connect, but will give my vote to the Agattu. That doesn’t mean that I would swap for an Agattu. I bought the Pro Connect for a purpose, to get me to work as quickly and efficiently as possible, nothing else. It does just that in a typically business like German way.

I have ridden an Agattu and for me it is a bit squidgy. I can see why people like it and I believe that it is more versatile than the Pro C, so it will have a wider appeal. I suppose you could say that it is a Land Rover of ebikes whereas the Pro C is more of an Audi A3ish type of bike. For me, I’d rather go to work in the Audi (Pro C), but I will vote for the Agattu because it has been well researched, designed and brought to market with excellent customer support.

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
For the mainstream available bikes I place another vote for the Agattu. Versatile, practical and FUN.

Outside the mainstream, for ingenuity and wonderful execution I thought these two very inspiring.

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Miles' Project 1 [eMoulton]

Matt Shumaker electric recumbent bicycle

A Panasonic motored bigger capacity battery version of the Surly Big Dummy

Snapdeck! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

or Rans Hammertruck
Commute by Bike » Blog Archive » Rans Hammer Truck

would take the practicality up to the next level. But I don't suppose we'll see that anytime soon.

I thought the Cytronex a great bit of kit, but would prefer a different base bike so I'm really looking forward to the Cytronex kit being available next year.

Roll on next year.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some very nice bikes there Andy, but for me, not that recumbent,the builder seeming to have some odd ideas about ebikes weight when criticising them. Quote:

"It seems like most E-bikes are close to 100 pounds. I am pushing for 45 to 47 pounds. Although anything under 50 would be fine with me."

What on earth is he talking about, 100 lbs = over 45 kilos, and no e-bikes have ever been that heavy, most today nearer half that. His target weight which he seems to think is quite unique is a bit more more than the Pro Connect and some others and much heavier than the Cytronex. And as for the 10,000 rpm RC motor which he thinks superior, people will certainly hear him coming!

I have the impression he only knows some of the early lead acid battery brush motor e-bikes of which there are many in the USA. The commercial e-bike market in the USA is surprisingly behind the times for a country so advanced in so many other respects.

Last edited:

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Which bike is the pick of the 2008 crop?

Hi all

I have, like others, been reading the thread with great interest, but have not felt qualified to proffer an opinion, as I have only bought one quality bike, and that was in October 2007.

This thread demonstrates that we need more events where we can get together and try each other's bikes.

I would feel like a fraud if I visited retailers and asked to try out bikes I have no intention of buying so my new year's resolution is to contact forum members when they buy new bikes and see if I can try the bike out. I will of course leave my passport, house and car keys, and youngest child as collateral whilst I ride off into the distance. Maybe next year I will be in a position to have a view.

Conal

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi all

I will of course leave my passport, house and car keys, and youngest child as collateral whilst I ride off into the distance. Maybe next year I will be in a position to have a view.

Conal
You didn't mention your mother Conal? Bring her as well, I know she makes a lovely cuppa;)
You don't have own or tried a particular bike to comment on it, so feel free to express an opinion.

J:) hn

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
In the silver corner!

May I introduce my contender for the E-Bike of 2008 crown. Imported as a joint venture between E-bikes UK and 720cycles, from the same factory producing the Spanish Tucano Carrera. I believe this is the very first example from that factory to cross British shores, the first "toe dippers" only arriving earlier this month.

In my view, it's claim to future fame has to be the rather more sophisticated motor control system than those currently in use on hub motored bikes. I think this new-kid-on-the-block with more than a little attitude is going to be knocking very loudly on a few doors in the coming months. You can read more, together with a link to the suppliers on my Voyager thread.

There is only one other forum member in possesion of this machine at this time, so of course it can't possibly win on voting numbers, but it's far too good to go without a mention.

A very happy Christmas to all

Regards

Bob

C

Cyclezee

The Voyager is certainly the only bike with a rear hub motor to get a vote. If it had arrived earlier in the year might have been a contender along with the better known bikes. Maybe AtoB could test this one if they can't get hold of a Wisper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
They should.

Hi John,

I think this is something that Simon and Darren should consider doing, I'm pretty confident this machine would stand up to scrutiny by the AtoB testers. It would certainly kickstart it's introduction to the British market. Put it this way, if I were the importer I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. That's how good it is. Test results in that publication usually hold a fair bit of sway in a decision to purchase any particular machine.

Now, I believe I should be celebrating something tonight....time to have look at that very large bottle of Famous Grouse methinks.

Best wishes

Bob

bogmonster

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2008
Not sure I well placed to comment but that has never stoped me. I vote for the Cytronex. In my mind it is the clear winer of the comercial bikes. And I think this for ther reasons that some people have poo pooed it. It is suited to semi-fit cyclists that want some assitance and with the right rider makes a fast and effective machine. It gets my vote as it opens up a new segment. After looking at a number of bikes this was the only comercial bike I seriously considered. Lack of a CycleScheme option put me off.

The Kalkhoffs, as good as they are can't have my vote due to what I see as the terrible system that rewards low cadence pedalling. Asthetically I don't find them appealing either. As good as they maybe for all thier German engineering they are very boring, a definite VW Polo kind of bike.

In more traditional e-bike terms the Wisper 905se would get my vote. And that is not just for the bike but also for the customer service people are getting and the reliability

I would really like to see a more traditional touting style e-bike with maybe drops and a larger capacity battery than the Cytronex but with a low drag motor. Alternatively a Panasonic type system that encourages higher cadence pedalling and not such a frumpy design.

In the end I could not find anythng off the shelf so built myself. Far from perfect but cheaper and a better fit for my needs.

Cheers, BM.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's the definite winner of the ingenuity and recycling prizes to date Miles.

Our e-bikes attract plenty of passing attention, but this one would really get an amazed audience. :D

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

I think the Agattu is the best bike for large people plus the back up is great.

thx

Bob

C

Cyclezee

Maybe I did not make it clear when I started this thread, but my intention was to include all bikes introduced for the 2008 model year just like the motor industry does every autumn. That also includes updated/new models from the likes of Alien, Wisper, Ezee, Giant, Monark, Gitane, Gazelle, Sparta, Powabyke etc. etc., not just Kalkhoff and Cytronex.

Can I repeat something I said in an earlier post, you don't have to own or have ridden a bike to vote for it and it can be a one off 'kit' bike. That gives the possibility one unique bike coming in 1st place. e.g. In earlier years it could have been Flecc's 'T' radical or this year could be Frank's Tongxin kit bike.

Finally I think we should end the voting on New Years day, and anounce a 1st, 2nd and 3rd the next day.

Get Voting Folks;)

Last edited by a moderator:

tagray

Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2007
Just come on the thread. It's difficult to have a comprehensive view of all the developments as few of us see more than a few examples of electric bikes. Although I was interested in the Kalkhoff variants, I never got the opportunity to see them. The review of the cytronex interested me when my Giant Twist was off the road. I happened to be near Winchester and arranged a test ride which blew me away. I came back with a grin from ear to ear and bought one on the spot. Now, 6 months later, I am still very satisfied with my choice to the point of letting my Giant go, even though it introduced me to the pleasures of electric bikes. You can't fault a bike that still produces a smile of sheer pleasure when I silently beat up the miles to work and back.

Several members have commented on needing a larger battery. Actually, that doesn't seem to be necessary. In hilly Sheffield, the Giant managed the 16 miles round trip to work, occasionally lengthened to about 20 miles and an extra hill with a detour en route, usually pegging out on the last hill (fortunately short) in cold weather. The Cytronex manages exactly the same, often pegging out at the same point despite having a much smaller battery. Its the more efficient use of power in a lighter bike, plus the fact that having a bike that can be ridden much faster (and I do) means that I am probably putting more effort in myself.

So for me, the cytronex has to be the bike of the year, but I accept I have had no practical experience of most of the others.