Bosch bikes under £1600??

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
All four bikes are back in the frame... Although the haibike is very pretty actually. It has 400 battery, is similar in weight to the Scott. Read, and seen some nasty photos of mechanical broken bits, not so good stuff but some while back. It is 2013 model so that's a plus I guess. Need to check geometry of that frame. Cannot find details. They deliver and allow me to try before I buy so I guess that means this bike is out of the running. Prefer to save money on it than somebody come all the way to force me on a bike!! ;)

The AVE sh-9 is also pretty but in a different way. Not so keen on light coloured frame but looks wells built. Perhaps riding position not best for me since back hurts more nowadays. Not sure about the shape... I either love it or hate it. Perhaps I need to go slightly more 'continental' a ride rather than hybrid / mtb type position. HMmm......

KTM Macina hs with crossover thing reminds me of my boardman hybrid. Frame looks lighter than AVE which is chunkier but I recall they are the same weight. This seems a bit more lady like and grown up!!

I think I wil be going on price in the end and gut instinct .........

To be continued ........... the big buy is Monday. It is either a pedelec or I reupholster my vw camper seats and buy a rear wheel arch!! Opportunity costs eh?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
They deliver and allow me to try before I buy so I guess that means this bike is out of the running. Prefer to save money on it than somebody come all the way to force me on a bike!! ;)
Depends how you look at it, wissy - I wouldn't slap a gift horse in the mouth. It's a serious demonstration of their confidence in their product. As someone who can't get to a test centre I would personally think very seriously about buying a bike from any dealer / manufacturer who was willing to send me a bike on approval !

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
That was me being ironic ;). Forgot the wink bit.......

It's just the idea of being showcased I don't like.... Blydi neighbours will be nosey. Terraced houses and asbos ;)

£199 for two service pickups and return per annum is also an option.

BUT have just found out a cycle shop in Llandudno do service electric bikes but one in Bangor does not for some reason.

Now if anybody finds the Haikbike geometry thing fr the eq trekking let me know? :). Much appreciated.

Last edited:

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Also any general information about tyres on pedelecs compared to 'normal' bicycles? Do they have to be different because of weight of motor or can 'normal' tyres be used. have noticed lots use puncture proof type tyres. Are they usually tubeless.. The norm?

Removal of wheels to repair. Any views on this. Quick release same as usual? Bike is heavier so anything to be wary of when replacing inner tube / tyre if a Bosch pedelec?

How come the haibike does up to 17kmh then when others restricted to 15?

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need any special tyres for an electric bike - just choose your favourites.
Wheel removal and puncture fixing is the same as the equivalent non-electric bike and the back wheel is easier with derailleur type gears.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Also any general information about tyres on pedelecs compared to 'normal' bicycles? Do they have to be different because of weight of motor or can 'normal' tyres be used. have noticed lots use puncture proof type tyres. Are they usually tubeless.. The norm?

Removal of wheels to repair. Any views on this. Quick release same as usual? Bike is heavier so anything to be wary of when replacing inner tube / tyre if a Bosch pedelec?

How come the haibike does up to 17kmh then when others restricted to 15?
Haibike does no more than any other e bike all in UK are legally restricted to 15.5mph. It also has the same Bosch system. If you want a quicker bikes you would choose an s pedelec which can be assist to you to 28mph but would need to be registered as a moped to be legal.

In terms of wheels, crank drives have the advantage of being like a normal bike in front and rear wheels. There are a number of tyres which are excellent for preventing punctures which are not tubeless.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Haibike have different frame sizes as far as I am aware. Nice bikes, looked at selling them but contacted them on several occasions but heard nothing from distributer so pursued KTM instead.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Haibike

so it seems only some of the Haibike models are coming over officially then? I have emailed the local cycle shop which happens to sell Raleigh bikes to see if they know more. Also emailed Raleigh.

What are the advantages again of buying a Haibike from official distributor Raleigh over an independent shop?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Haibike

so it seems only some of the Haibike models are coming over officially then? I have emailed the local cycle shop which happens to sell Raleigh bikes to see if they know more. Also emailed Raleigh.

What are the advantages again of buying a Haibike from official distributor Raleigh over an independent shop?
Raleigh sell them to independent shops/dealers. I do not think they sell them direct.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Does anybody know where EddieO bought his bikes from in Germany? I may as well investigate that route as well.

Most annoying that he is no longer here............... silly ban. silly ban. silly ban.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I think he bought it from Austria, it was a KTM. I think someone else bought one from Austria after Eddie recommendation. Cant recall name of place though. I am sure someone else will remember.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think he used to trawl through this forum, where people would mention any bargains.
Eddie is a member of the German forum and trawls that and the German market.

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Have a look on German Ebay,loads of bikes with links to shops who will end one to you.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Does anybody know where EddieO bought his bikes from in Germany? I may as well investigate that route as well.
Just remember you cannot get bikes through that route and take advantage of c2w. Not sure what arrangement your employer has in place about monthly rentals and agreed final instalment cost under their scheme but depending on your income levels the tax savings of getting a competitively priced bike under c2w may outweigh relative discounts obtained importing from abroad.

I think he bought it from Austria, it was a KTM. I think someone else bought one from Austria after Eddie recommendation. Cant recall name of place though. I am sure someone else will remember.
Is it barrycoll you're thinking about who imported a KTM from Radsport Brucki ?

Radsport Brucki | english info

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/13373-thoughts-new-ktm.html

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Council will allow me to use c2w from germany if they invoice in sterling but am hoping to avoid this...

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Just remember you cannot get bikes through that route and take advantage of c2w. Not sure what arrangement your employer has in place about monthly rentals and agreed final instalment cost under their scheme but depending on your income levels the tax savings of getting a competitively priced bike under c2w may outweigh relative discounts obtained importing from abroad.

Is it barrycoll you're thinking about who imported a KTM from Radsport Brucki ?

Radsport Brucki | english info

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/13373-thoughts-new-ktm.html
Yep your spot on! That was shop I was thinking of ;)