Bosch bikes under £1600??

andy slow coach

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2012
Hampshire
I am buying one of the above bikes on Monday and just to annoy sceptics who do not want to provide constructive advice or simply press 'like' to threads where individuals admonish me i wil now toss a coin to decide !!
So Wissy, Monday was yesterday... What did you get??

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Spot on Old Dave! You know me too well.

The shop 'selling' the Scott seem to be doing all they can not to sell it to me and promised to email me details Monday so thatbis now out of the equation (again)

Now thinking of the AVE TH-9 as it may well be better for my back position but climbing hills will be odd in that position I think.

The AVE SH-9 still in the frame also

The Haibike eq trekking by justebikes is a 2012 one with a 400 new battery so not sure if that is a 'go' as geometry of frame and size still a bit confusing. Only one left says chappy so as they were bringing it to me would have preferred to choose from two sized bikes but he only has one. Investigating possibility of getting 2013 model but awaiting details.

KTM-Macina dual hs also other possibilty.

Then again it is 2013 so need to confirm / clarify which are 2012 and 2013 models.

Did I say which Monday?;)

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Did I say which Monday?;)
That's true :D

Some of us are guilty of lulling our selves into a false sense of security.

But seriously for a moment, I'm glad it's not me having to make the choice as I'd want to do up the VW and get the bike out of the same money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
the VW Camper will cost a fair few more pennies than the price of an ebike unfortunately. Bought a NOS (new old stock) front wheel arch for it a few months ago from Switzerland. bargain for £450! New modern tat which doesn't really fit my year van would have been over £350! Need to source decent rear wheel arch for it now. Keep adding bits of metal for it and under bed, in clothes cupboard and here there and everywhere.... The really difficult task is to save money for the resto (the second full body resto in 19 yrs I have had him!) and then finding a decent welder (did you know we have cowbois on Anglesey ;) )

Sighs.........

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Ok we are almost there....

KTM Macina dual HS 2013 with new 400 battery fitted.
Lots of help given by retailer here. very useful and could swing it. Cheaper than 2012 Haibike. But delivered in a box (!)

Or

haibike eq trekking 2012 with new 400 battery fitted and small chance 2013 model which I would like. Awaiting details of this. They deliver so that could swing that one but delivery could delay mine as is dependent on other bikes in area. No puncture free tyres though... Extra cost for this.

I anticipate all information needed by week's time or less but too late now for half-term hols.

Any comments ref above choices.... Quality of bikes?

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
No puncture free tyres though
No tyres are puncture free* ... but some are more resistant than others

* exception... wooden or concrete ones are generally considered puncture free :D

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
hey... It's my second language .. Give me a break!!

Puncture resistant pedant ;)

Or free puncture

Or free puncture tyres

Or free punctured tyres

Or free tyres punctured

Or free tyres' puncture

Or...... Silly language

(Fork handles???)

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Wissy

Have been using my Macina 29 for 2 weeks now. Brilliant bike in all respects, off road and on road.

Not sure of your distance requirements or level of hills. Have been using mine off road lately, thick mud and very hilly. 20-25 mile range. About as tough as you could get for an ebike. Likely to get many more miles out on the road.

Just one thing, the bike performs better, the more you pedal. If you're not into pedalling, I'd get a throttle hub bike. If you don't mind getting fit, the KTM is the business.

On the other note, puncture resistant types, Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Have done over 12000 miles on these and not a single puncture.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
No puncture free tyres though... Extra cost for this.
Just wait till you get it and start looking at bags, lights, pedals (I never like the ones which come with the bike lol), grips and the like ... the purchase price is just the beginning of a long road of credit card spankings :p

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
got lot of kit (wrong size :eek it shrank honest). Halfords used to chuck freebies at me when I bought a Boardman with C2W.... Clothes, pump, Bottle thingies, pannier bags etc.... Very generous actually.

Now the AVE TH-9 may be back 'in the frame'..... (Top two most likely still unless others somehow reveal lower prices or more information which am awaiting)

KTM Macina dual HS 2013 with 400 battery thing
Haibike eq trekking 2012 or 2013 with 400 battery thing (possibly local source or UK source)
AVE TH-9 but hub gear things .. With 400 battery thing....... Prefer derailleurs and for hills but starting to re-like (English???) the shape which may be better for me as I 'age'........ Then again....
Kalkhoff impulse thing... Depends on ebay price with cycle to work but perhaps not best for hills but if price low enough ......... Maybe maybe.

Awaiting information now from Raleigh's Haibike UK person who happens to speak Welsh and will let me know if it can be sourced for me to buy from local shop if they buy more of them or something..... then lot depends on price which yet to be revealed. OR 2012 model from justebikes but frame may be too big for only one in stock..

So.. i was close to two and now in last 24 hours all changed again. I'd best get a move on before new models come on the sene and complicate things more!!

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Pedals???

Any idea which ones of my list do not come with pedals?? i think some have pressure clever trickery on pedals so Imagine they cannot be changed??

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Pedals???

Any idea which ones of my list do not come with pedals?? i think some have pressure clever trickery on pedals so Imagine they cannot be changed??
The pedals can always be changed. The pressure sensing torque sensors are usually elsewhere, such as incorporated on the bottom bracket or pedal shaft, or at the rear wheel or rear frame.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Aha... That would make sense., I can use my 'pdf' ones then ;)

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
ow does a Storck bike compare to the Bosch motor ones up hills? Their website seem to promote them as being big hill climbers? They all seem lighter although look bulkier strangely enough...?

D

Deleted member 4366

ow does a Storck bike compare to the Bosch motor ones up hills? Their website seem to promote them as being big hill climbers? They all seem lighter although look bulkier strangely enough...?
Wissy,
Have a look around your house. Can see a B & O hifi system, an iPad and an iphone. Now look in your wardrobe to see if it's full of designer clothes and handbags. If the answer to these questions is yes, go and book a test ride on the Storck straight away because I' think you'll like it. Unfortunately, you'll be puffing a bit (lot) going up Mount Snowdon on it - unless they changed something since I rode one. On the flat and slight hills, it's brilliant, but so are many others.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
B&o.. Thought you meant B&q then... Only know what that is 'cos of my Norwegian cousins...

Ipad.. Yes.. A work one ;)

Iphone yes.. 'Free' upgrade two yrs ago

I'm with you so far.... Then you made me chuckle...

Wardrobe... Not got one .. Not even one in the house!!! Lol. have a cupboard in wall thing upstairs which has numerous vw camper metal panel bits (floor panel, inner and outer sill, wheel arch and a few other bits I have forgotten about) and some old jumpers.... i think that was supposed to be a wardrobe!

Handbag!!! Lol.. I bought my very very very first handbag (more of a bag) last year and forgot to remove it from kitchen chair when I was balancing on kitchen table painting ceiling just befor Xmas... Has nice white paint effect on it.. Which reminds me I never did paint behind the various useless kitchen things on top of cupboards.. Just around the bread bin, fondue thing....

Still.. I now understand about the Storck!! Nicely put. :). Had to ask ask that was an obvious 'gap' in my research. Their website seems to 'sell' hills very very well .

I have just decided that I am now Danish or something as I have overdosed on Danish drama as I kept saying 'Hai Hai' to everybody on my walk today!!

Now to improve on my French GCSE resit grade of an E with Spiral.. Gets my mind off 'choices' for a while.. Sacre bleu les bleus! (Eh?)