Change in e-bike legislation

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
You are already affected since you already have the EU no-throttles rules in Northern Ireland and have had since 10th November 2003. :)

The simple reason for this is that our 1983 EAPC legislation is British law, not applying to you since N.I is in the UK, not Great Britain. The mandatory EU regulation was passed into UK law back in 2003, with no contrary British law to overrule it in your case.

I'm all for that, the Italian approach, accept all the laws without complaining and then just ignore them. Trouble is we don't have the Italian local police and courts to go with that.
Blimey! :eek: first I heard of it, shouldn't be a surprise with the inept gov over us.

Guarantee that most local bike shops and others will not be aware of it either.

Will I resort to removing the throttle, hell no. as for the micro switch, I already have one under the throttle itself, just how it came from the supplier

Like many on here, I'd like to think I'm a good upstanding member of the community, the law needs to change and target real criminals rather than a few cyclists which are actually easing the strain on infrastructure/road networks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Will I resort to removing the throttle, hell no. as for the micro switch, I already have one under the throttle itself, just how it came from the supplier.
Fully agree, no-one will take any notice.

Your position in N.I, is well regulated compared with the Isle of Man! They don't appear to have any e-bike law at all, since they aren't subject to either British or UK law on this and aren't in the EU.

There are some e-bikes there, three I know of, but technically they appear to be motorcycles since there's no exempting law.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
not sure about Powabyke but I expect they must have the same plans.
The X-bykes controllers have two modes "pure power" and "pedal assist". In both modes the throttle won't start the motor unless you're pedaling. In power assist mode if you stop pedaling the motor cuts out until you start pedaling again, in pure power mode if you stop pedaling you can carry on throttle only.

My guess is that Powabykes will just lose the pure power mode so that they can't be powered without pedaling. So they're all set to comply with just a minor change to the bikes.

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
IoM has strange laws, Clarkson rants about getting done for furious driving.

Our MOT centres are a good example of how stringent we are regulated, until such times that they introduce MOT's for bicycles, I'll not be losing sleep over a throttle issue ;)

The only time I ever heard of someone being stopped was when we were teenagers.
A mates racer had the brake cables tucked under the wrap around handle bar tape.

local plod (on the beat) stopped him, for not having any brakes.......talk about clueless.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only time I ever heard of someone being stopped was when we were teenagers.
A mates racer had the brake cables tucked under the wrap around handle bar tape.

local plod (on the beat) stopped him, for not having any brakes.......talk about clueless.
Classic! :D

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Mmmm, not sure about that, it used to be five British companies only a short time ago!
what were the other two? If one is TGA they are still about but walked away from the market as TBH powabyke would then have been a way stronger competitor for the older market and they even if they made MTB style machines wouldn't have a rats' chance in hell getting the young'uns to buy their bikes, as if we would buy a e-bike from a company making mobility scooters :rolleyes:

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Then lift your hand from the throttle, issue solved! Throttle gives precision control, that means safest option! Who takes a bicycle for a walk, machine is meant for riding. IMHO.
I tend to keep both hands on the grips, especially if it's blowing a gale. If I am waiting to pull out into traffic riding my bike, not pushing it, I have had this problem. Like I said "When it's cold and wet and the traffic is busy", I don't want to be having to think about my stupid brake cut-outs, they are dangerous in my opinion. I commute on my bike all year, it's my only transport, I know from experience, perhaps you've never ridden in these conditions.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
what were the other two? If one is TGA they are still about but walked away from the market as TBH powabyke would then have been a way stronger competitor for the older market and they even if they made MTB style machines wouldn't have a rats' chance in hell getting the young'uns to buy their bikes, as if we would buy a e-bike from a company making mobility scooters :rolleyes:
Yes, one was TGA, but it's immaterial what they made, they were still e-bike makers, British and very long lived.

As for buying from a mobility company, the main UK source for high performance motors for years was Team Hybrid, a mobility vehicle company, which never put off anyone from buying Crystalyte, Puma and High power Heinzmanns from them. Indeed, they ran "Team Hybrid", a young e-bike stunt performing group powered by Crystalyte.

The fifth British manufacturer were until recently Viking in Essex, one member has one:

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Yes, one was TGA, but it's immaterial what they made, they were still e-bike makers, British and very long lived.

As for buying from a mobility company, the main UK source for high performance motors for years was Team Hybrid, a mobility vehicle company, which never put off anyone from buying Crystalyte, Puma and High power Heinzmanns from them. Indeed, they ran "Team Hybrid", a young e-bike stunt performing group powered by Crystalyte.
a lot of it is to do with marketing though, you say TGA to folk round here young and old and they think "mobility scooter" - same as Adnams or Greene King would make you think of a pint of good bitter..

its a big local company bear in mind families are often closer in EA than in SE England so young folk visit their elderly relatives way more often and/or may all still live in the same area..

to be fair they probably would have got away with rebranding if they had a good product but I from what I've seen of them think their ebikes were always aimed at a particularly "older person with shopping basket" market, a niche within a niche of East Anglian cyclists so I'm not surprised they failed in the market.

As for the Viking it would have competed with the Powacycle - and looks bit like a toy TBH... perhaps this is simply a sign of a pioneering but competitive market so its unsuprising that sadly some companies fall by the wayside...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know what you mean Alex, but things aren't always as they appear.

The Viking had a snazzy well instrumented dashboard, very moped like, the sort of thing that appeals to many youngsters, though older souls could see it as gimmickry. Our member who had one was "funkymoped" (Keith), emphasising that appeal.

Likewise the TGA Electrobike, mainly sold to older people because that tended to be the age group contacting them. Put a youngster on the usual type of 15 mph e-bike that on sight he might prefer, then let him try an Electrobike that can hit nearly double that speed and watch him change his mind! :D

Last edited:

Memran

Pedelecer
Jan 13, 2010
All this stuff talking about having a plate with motor power and battery voltage fitted by the manufaturer is somewhat confusing.

My bike's "manufacturer" is me.
I am I supposed to make a plate and fit it myself?
Where should this plate be? On the frame? If so, whats stopping different motors or controllers being fitted? (Indeed whats stopping someone from retro fitting a powerful kit onto a plated, legal bike?)

The document talks about commencement from a certain date, and that bikes manufactured before this date are exempt from the new rulings (but are still subject to the old). Where do we stand with retro-fitted kits. My bike was some 6 years old, and fitted the ebike stuff to it only last week. How old is my "ebike"?

There are clearly still many ambiguities with the proposed regulations.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed it does seem confusing Memran, but to explain:

E-bikes are exempted from motor vehicle legislation if they comply with the law on e-bike construction, and a home built one should be submitted for motorcycle single vehicle type approval so that the inspector can verify it qualifies and is exempt from registration etc. Single SVA includes amateur built vehicles. If it passes, the builder (you) can append the plate to meet the requirements. It's not clear what the fee would be, but it will probably be that same as for the low powered moped class, £55, since that is also a pedal equipped type limited to 15 mph, but with higher motor power limit.

If you equip an ordinary bike with a motor kit, it's age as an e-bike counts from when the motor is fitted since that is when it should be submitted for exemption approval.

If you alter an existing e-bike by fitting a different motor for example, it's original age will be retained but technically it should be resubmitted for exemption approval.

Since none of these procedures have been tested in this way yet to the best of my belief, any demand will probably provoke the creation of a more specific compliance checking facility and fee.

Last edited:

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
The GB Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983 require that EAPCs cannot be ridden on a road unless fitted with a plate displaying the manufacturer, the nominal voltage of the battery and the continuous rated output of the motor (both as defined in the 1971 British Standard which was amended in 1987).

Do manufacturers currently comply with this rule???:(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The GB Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983 require that EAPCs cannot be ridden on a road unless fitted with a plate displaying the manufacturer, the nominal voltage of the battery and the continuous rated output of the motor (both as defined in the 1971 British Standard which was amended in 1987).

Do manufacturers currently comply with this rule???:(
They don't. A few partially comply, but usually with motor plating leaving off some essentials and which doesn't meet the requirement for the plate to be prominent and easily accessible, akin to the rules on the display of tax discs.

Since the 1983 regulations are those which should have been scrapped in 2003 and are now to be updated or replaced, it's probably not worth worrying about for the present.

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
Thank you. Coming from the marine industry where the plate on the transom is absolutely mandatory or you can't get insurance or a marina berth......:)

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
I have just reponded to the Government's request for feedback. Anyone else done so??

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Personally, the only thing I have against brake cut-outs is that it restricts your choice of brake lever, if only someone would invent an in-line system that required nothing to be attached to the lever, then all would be well.
Ahem, Cytronex ?