Someone make this snow go away!!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Interestingly, I thought to myself that without a throttle I'd never have been able to manage it!
I've found the throttle to be a big help, sometimes as soon as I start pedaling the back wheel starts to slide sideways. Not too great on the slush though as I have found myself going too fast and aquaplaning, I need the extreme Nokian tyres for that!

LazyViking

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2009
Studded tyres on bicycles

While I have studded tyres on my bicycles, my car has no studs. This is because a bit of sliding in a car is no problem. It won't lose it's balance because it has four wheels. On a bike you really need this extra grip.

Studded tyres are most useful when there is frost/ice.

I've living in the UK, and would highly recommend studded tyres for e-bikers who cycle all year round.

One fall and the damage to you and your bike could cost you more than the cost of the tyres.

--LazyViking

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey........She looks a bit touched to be honest:D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
While I have studded tyres on my bicycles, my car has no studs. This is because a bit of sliding in a car is no problem. It won't lose it's balance because it has four wheels. On a bike you really need this extra grip.

Studded tyres are most useful when there is frost/ice.

I've living in the UK, and would highly recommend studded tyres for e-bikers who cycle all year round.

One fall and the damage to you and your bike could cost you more than the cost of the tyres.

--LazyViking
Finally got fed up with the useless trains this morning and thought about something like marathon winter tyres - not so much for the snow but the ice afterwards. However as you can imagine, everwhere is sold out and no idea when there will be any more stocks coming in.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
:D

No I think it's a genuine story. Nice to see she survived because it could have been very sad tale.
I didn't think the story wasn't genuine, what I meant is that literally day before there was a very similar storyline on this US comic (like a surreal sitcom about a bike shop)

Last Call | Bicycle Comics - Yehuda Moon and the Kickstand Cyclery

I'm glad for remote working and VOIP today (built 3 voip exchanges using Asterisk so even got phone extension at home and my direct line routed here instead of my office for today)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
these are by Michelin for cars and trucks...maybe I should send vid to TFL and Boris...... they can spend some of the money from increased fares on something to keep the buses running:rolleyes:

unlike some similar ones these are approved for Alpine regions. its a prototype in vid. ones on sale now are a little different approx £80 a pair

YouTube - Siepa fabric snow chains for truck

Last edited:

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Well, I decided to get away from the snow - no electric bike here but it is 30C by the pool in Capetown :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
On BBC news last night they had a piece re European weather (similar to us) And a clip from Germany with loads of people riding around on bikes in deep snow. If this turns in to a yearly event I will have to either get a cheap bike with snow tyres or a set for my bike......going stir crazy:eek:

we normally get some winter sun as well, Goa last year and heading to Thailand this Easter.......Noticed on 50 cycles site you can hire kalkhoff e bikes in Phuket...Now if the driving is anything like in Goa, which I suspect it is. you wound need your head examining!lol

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well, London today is yet again covered in reasonably deep snow....Looks like we are in for a long winter.

main roads at a standstill this morning, my son had to walk to school, and local councils have the cheek to blame others as usual for their lack of foresight regards salt/grit provision. :rolleyes:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think the chaos locally is even worse today, all schools closed and yet 2 miles away in the next county they are open :confused: Accidents all over the place and the traffic is terrible....really, really getting fed up with this but no doubt I'll be out on the bike later :D

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
No snow in Cambridge and all the old stuff has cleared. Temp this morning was 3oC :D

EDIT lmao it just started snowing :mad:

Only very lightly though :p

Jerry

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Gridlock here - heavy snow and council has run out of grit. Actually I think they ran out in November. I've seen none since.

Psycosis

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2009
Walton On Thames
I find all this business with the schools a bit of a joke.
I don't recall one single instance when i was at school of not being able to go in because it was either too cold or too hot.

This shows how PC society has become, where kids aren't shoved off to school regardless,and where you can get sued for clearing the snow outside your house if its on a public footpath.

I am very tempted to get a snow shovel and clear a path all the way from my house to the station since the council can't be bothered to do it, and so many people have fallen over.

I could have a big rant over this, how society is falling apart. :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I well remember freezing my nuts off, standing in goal and 6 inches of snow in a strong northerly wind on the school playing field for 90 minutes. Not even a pair of gloves.:( No mercy shown. Ahhh the good old days.:D

PS. And England won the world cup that year.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I remember a few times getting to school to find out it was shut, normally because the heating had broken down. I also remember having cross country running in the worst of it, and my thighs stinging when you get back into the school gym after the cold :eek:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I well remember freezing my nuts off, standing in goal and 6 inches of snow in a strong northerly wind on the school playing field for 90 minutes. Not even a pair of gloves.:( No mercy shown. Ahhh the good old days.:D

PS. And England won the world cup that year.
I was schooled in the catholic system late 50's/60's and I remember all to well examples like yours, and yes sports where a nightmare!Thank God those days have passed. My teenagers experiences are all so thankfully different.

We had at least two psychopaths as teachers who would on occasions break out into uncontrollable rage. On one occasion a maths teacher tried to hoist a boy out the first floor window during a class....a load of us had to jump on him, when he came out of his rage he started passing money around. If this happened today it would be front page news, but being picked up by your ears, lashed with a cane, slapped etc...where normal:rolleyes: