Thoughts on BEBA

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They have only just merged. Given them a break, I would think they have a lot of ground to cover to get both operations working under one 'roof' and to address issues of legacy support.
I wasn't criticising the merger, just the lack of an assurance that they were going to look after existing customer interests and warranties. It's basic to any merger or takeover announcement that assurances to existing customers are given. No details are necessary to do that, so "giving them a break" doesn't come into it. They are aware of this key forum in the e-bike world, so at the very least they could have made a formal announcement in here. Instead they didn't bother, leaving someone who had just bought a bike from them worried in case his bike would no longer be supported.

The same situation exists with regard to no Mistral batteries available for a long time, just saying there are none and giving no indications if there ever will be, if any are on order, or when they might be available is just not good enough. That's why unhappy owners have complained in here, entirely justifiably. There is never any excuse for not communicating with customers.

But this is the sort of unsatisfactory service that some seem to think good enough for BEBA membership. I don't.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I have to ask, what 'present unsatisfactory customer service situation' are you referring to?
Yeh! I also would like to know where there service has fallen down Tony?

Right just seen it`s about batteries. I don`t think it was because of battery failure but more that people wanted to have a spare( I myself have got an order in for another one of the batteries that came with my kit.)

When I purchased Anne`s Synergie Breeze just days before reading that Synergie was to be combined with Alien I wrote an E mail to Bob with my concerns. I received a very prompt return E mail from him assuring me that I would have no problems in the future getting support for either model and I`m convinced that even if models are dropped then they will sort something out for me should the worst happen. Now I know that words are cheap but I`ve got faith in Bobs words and lets face it anyone that brings in bikes as good as the Alien range for the price that they are has surely got to have a strong standing in the trade. I think it will be a mistake to leave a decent company out in the cold but who knows, they might be better on their own!

I did also write earlier that they did have means of trying before buying but I suppose with just the one base in Scotland was a bit of a disadvantage as far as that goes. I also understand that the success of the Alien Gents Special bike being sold out was purely because it was far more successful than even the owners thought it would be and as we know it takes time to get more orders off of the ground from half way around the world.

Anyway, it won`t be for any of us to decide but of course there is nothing stopping us from airing our views.

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yeh! I also would like to know where there service has fallen down Tony?

Right just seen it`s about batteries. I don`t think it was because of battery failure but more that people wanted to have a spare

Dave
Not so Dave, nothing to do with spare batteries or battery failures. I wrote about the lack of Synergie Mistral batteries which have left some owners with bikes completely out of action, and it was the Synergie communications in that connection about that I was speaking of.

Surely what I posted made it abundantly clear what was wrong. It was just plain poor service and communications, and there's no excuse for that.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Guys-

Firstly I hope you've had a great Easter?!

Lets not stray from the focus of BEBA- which is to be a supportive engine for the industry- here for the consumer We would love every manufacturer to come on board- but they have to prove they can look after their customers correctly.

Your comments are interesting- but we must remain constructive, if something is restricting someone from joining- but their intentions are in-line then lets make a work around.

We're here for the benefit of the market at all price points- help us support that. We want the whole industry to be a success.

Thanks
Mark

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Thanks for your points Patrick

1. Our Activities will encourage the sales of electric bikes through all good suppliers.

If an electric bike supplier would like to publicly agree to follow the BEBA code of practice and join up to help promote electric bike sales in general we will add them to our list of members.

2. Good point!

We would point out to the customer that the bike purchased was not one supported by BEBA, however if we could help to resolve a problem between customer and supplier we would endeavour to do so. As the retailer is selling a Key member's product that Key member would become involved. It would give BEBA an opportunity to recruit a new member!

I know this is not perfect yet but with constructive questions like these we will get there soon!

All the best, David

David,

Perhaps the solution of keeping BEBA independent is to allow everyone who has involvement with the electric bicycle industry to be accredited 'Associate Member of BEBA' for the joining fee?:eek:

BEBA accredited shops and suppliers along with all shops that have an employee who holds the Cytech electric bike mechanic qualification could be accredited 'Member of BEBA'. :cool:

BEBA then could intervene directly on behalf of e-bike customers where service has fallen short of expected standards. BEBA could ensure that Cytech qualifications are suitable and updates are applied via refresher course updates as necessary.

BEBA rules should ensure that those accredited 'Member of BEBA' are able to provide technical support as far as is reasonably practicable to those who seek it; whether it is for a different make of electric bike, fitting an e-bike kit, battery or other spares or providing independent advice on which e-bike to buy.:)

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/74088-post6.html

Since BEBA intends to have a permanent link soon on Pedelecs, Pedelec members can also be involved by reporting the good and the bad.:D

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I wasn't criticising the merger, just the lack of an assurance that they were going to look after existing customer interests and warranties. It's basic to any merger or takeover announcement that assurances to existing customers are given. No details are necessary to do that, so "giving them a break" doesn't come into it. They are aware of this key forum in the e-bike world, so at the very least they could have made a formal announcement in here. Instead they didn't bother, leaving someone who had just bought a bike from them worried in case his bike would no longer be supported.
I think you have your answer in Dave's post...

The same situation exists with regard to no Mistral batteries available for a long time, just saying there are none and giving no indications if there ever will be, if any are on order, or when they might be available is just not good enough. That's why unhappy owners have complained in here, entirely justifiably. There is never any excuse for not communicating with customers.
Agreed, however, different company then, different owner then...new ownership now with a good reputation so don't label the new owners with the issues of the previous one.

But this is the sort of unsatisfactory service that some seem to think good enough for BEBA membership. I don't.
Self serving FUD.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think you have your answer in Dave's post...
No I haven't. Since when does one person's good experience negate another's bad one? Those Mistral owners who have their bikes off the road wouldn't think so.

Agreed, however, different company then, different owner then...new ownership now with a good reputation so don't label the new owners with the issues of the previous one.
I didn't. I stated the Synergie position on Mistral batteries while they've been independent to date.

Self serving FUD.
Thanks.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The synergie lack of comms before might be understandable as they might have been struggling or lost interest so I agree that they weren`t good. That was before the take over and as such that managment doesn`t exist anymore so a new slate from now.

Now! Alien. I had cause to contact them when I found that one of the supplied brake levers was broken at the wired connection. I stated that as far as I knew in all honesty that it was possible that it had been broken in my bike shed when I was installing the kit but couldn`t be sure so could they supply me one and let me know the cost. New brake lever arrived by next post complimentary.
I then had cause to contact them again and this time for a small part that I needed (broken by me) sent in post complimentary.

Now as far as I`m concerned service and back up couldn`t have been better and thank God after purchasing a synergie a week before the take over it is now owned by that very same company that treated me like a customer without so much of a moan.

Now i know that models are going to change and almost certainly the rear brushed motor will be replaced by either one of Bobs front hub Barfangs or a rear hub brushless Barfang that will almost certainly be different from the default gear but I`ve got to be confident that somehow they will sort me out in someway when I take past experience into consideration if and when the worst happens. I can only judge on past experiences and I certainly wouldn`t be put off from buying another bike from Alien. Not saying that they will have what I need in the future but I certainly hope so.

Can I just say also that in the real world E bikes are still in an infancy stage really(yeh! I know they have been around for a few years) and it is never at the moment going to be like buying a Panasonic tv where you can almost bet your bippy that it will work and go on working. Everyone is feeling the ground, bringing out bikes, making mistakes and correcting them so hopefully some time in the near future we will be able to buy with more confidence and perhaps have a ready supply of spares available if and when we need them. You`ll see, as the market grows then dealers will carry those batteries, controllers etc.

Dave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
There is another approach, you could make the BEBA Retail Member resposible for shortfalls in service for any non-BEBA bikes that they choose to sell. That way a customer that buys from a BEBA Retailer can expect good service from whatever bike they choose, and if there's a problem the BEBA can get directly involved. (Isn't the customer's contract with the retailer anyway, so as far as the customer's concerned the retailer is the supplier?)

If there is a problem with a particular non-BEBA supplier the Retailer can ask for the BEBAs help in negotiating with them. This would also open up a recruitment approach along the lines of: "One of our retail members has had to pick up the pieces because of your service problems, is there any way we can help stop it happening again?"
Excellent suggestion Patrick thanks!

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
David,

Perhaps the solution of keeping BEBA independent is to allow everyone who has involvement with the electric bicycle industry to be accredited 'Associate Member of BEBA' for the joining fee?:eek:

BEBA accredited shops and suppliers along with all shops that have an employee who holds the Cytech electric bike mechanic qualification could be accredited 'Member of BEBA'. :cool:

BEBA then could intervene directly on behalf of e-bike customers where service has fallen short of expected standards. BEBA could ensure that Cytech qualifications are suitable and updates are applied via refresher course updates as necessary.

BEBA rules should ensure that those accredited 'Member of BEBA' are able to provide technical support as far as is reasonably practicable to those who seek it; whether it is for a different make of electric bike, fitting an e-bike kit, battery or other spares or providing independent advice on which e-bike to buy.:)

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/74088-post6.html

Since BEBA intends to have a permanent link soon on Pedelecs, Pedelec members can also be involved by reporting the good and the bad.:D
Thanks DP!

Another splendid idea.

Best regards

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Invitation

Invitation to an open house BEBA meeting in May.

I have just had a quick word with Sabine from Biscuit PR in London.

To explain Biscuit PR's involvement; They have kindly offered a years pro-bono PR consultation. Sabine and Lord Laird (Lord Laird lists transport as one of his interests) who own Biscuit have been massively supportive in the whole set up process and are now full steam ahead to publicise BEBA to the trade and electric bike buying public.

Sabine made a great suggestion, if anyone from Pedelecs would like to come into London to a special BEBA meeting, we would be happy to host it.

The invitation is made not only to the trade, but anyone who contributes to the Pedelecs forum. Sabine suggested we hold such a meeting so that anyone can ask anything of the committee and hopefully by being honest and open we can allay fears that BEBA has been set up by a few for the benefit of the few.

If there is sufficient interest I will set up a day towards the end of May.

If you would like to attend please email me at dmiall@me.com.

Best regards

David

Last edited:

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
Many thanks for addressing my points. I'm afraid that many things are still unclear (as some of your claims were contradictory to what you said earlier or what is stated in COP), please see my comments in red below - I would be grateful if you could clearly specify BEBA's postion on the points mentioned.

Hi Alex, thanks for you input, it is much appreciated.

Thanks to you too Flecc for explaining our position on these matters, I felt it necessary for me to confirm some points.

If not from the electric bike industry where exactly should the founders of BEBA have been drawn from? Surely a group of electric bike manufacturers, distributors and and retailers are most qualified? Or maybe we should get a bunch of civil servants on the case?

I totally agree that membership should include stakeholders from within the industry, inc manufacturers, retailers, and distributors but the board should consist of representatives from at least each of these categories, plus ideally some individuals not representing any particular interests of a brand , etc. At the moment you only have 5 key brands who are trying to set up rules for everybody else and it’s hardly impartial!

Also, I’m afraid your website doesn’t list any members apart from the 5 key brands. Please could you let me know where any interested individual could find the full list of members?

As for as I know virtually every electric bike importer and manufacturer was invited to the first meeting last summer (with the exception of 50 Cycles which I believe was an error when drawing up the list). Not many attended and from those attendees only four of us have together done all the work in setting BEBA up. Mark drew up the list, I will ask him to let us know who was invited.

You said that your COP demonstrates that BEBA was not set up to be either protectionist or elitist but it doesn’t seem to be the case to me!

I would refer here to a few points from your Code of Practice which clearly show and UNfair business case:

Rules for members:

1. Sales only through dealers not exclusively online? – as long as online seller provides customer with option of being able to see / try the item and has a good return policy, why should online selling be a problem? Is it because all of they key brands have already established a network of dealers and only new market entrants start from selling purely online? This automatically rules out, for example, 50Cycles & Kalkhoff brand, Alien Bikes, and Synergy Bikes. A golden rule for eliminating competition?

I think Flecc has spelt this out for you, however I have repeatedly said that BEBA is not trying to exclude, on the contrary we NEED to include. Any company who is prepared to sign up to the BEBA CoP is most welcome.

I'm afraid i haven't seen any clear explanation of this rule (unless I've missed something). Please could you specify BEBA’s position on including companies who do sell only online, however have a facility where they can demonstrate the product (i.e. warehouse)? If these companies would not be welcome as members, this is excluding not including. If they can, however, become members, this point in COP should be modified to specify what selling ‘purely online’ means, ie not having a demo facilities / or ‘not exclusively online’ should be deleted from this point

As well as setting a standard for electric bike suppliers, BEBA is dedicated to promoting electric bike use in the UK through PR, advertising and sponsorship. BEBA has already sponsored Tour de Presteign to the tune of £400.00 and has started a PR campaign to publicise the event. Sponsorship, PR and advertising does not come cheap so we need as many members as possible to help shoulder the cost. Before you point out that Wisper is also mentioned as a sponsor on the TdP website, we paid for that sponsorship separately! Also consider that general electric bike publicity will also increase sales for non members.

2. BEBA - organisation for recognised brands only? Well, that clearly shows that this ‘independent’ organisation would block any new market entrants, no matter how good products they sell, purely as they don’t represent recognised brands (and you surely know from your own experience that building brand awareness does take time). I thought that becoming a member of an industry association should depend on whether you conform to certain standards (ie safety norms), not whether you are well known or not, but clearly that’s the case with BEBA….

We have an absolute interest in supporting new market entrants as long as they haves put in place the infrastructure to support their customers. Being well known has nothing to do with BEBA membership! However having a brand that can be recognised has. Without a brand how does the customer know where to go if they have a problem?

Well-known has nothing to do with BEBA membership but recognised does? These are synonymous terms and unless by 'recognised' you mean something else, then this term should be clearly defined in COP. Also, new entrants do not have yet a recognised brand (simply as they are new) so if you only accept companies with recognised brands, this excludes new entrants. Please could you clarify your position re new company that enters the market with a new (not yet recognised or known brand), claims to be absolutely committed to providing excellent customer service and would like to become BEBA member to prove its commitment to ensuring best practice, etc. Do you reject or accept / consider such an application? If you accept, then point 2 re recognised brands should be modified

Rules for retailers

1 & 4. Retailers to stock at least one brand from key members? So you can use the logo of our ‘independent’ organisation only if you sell our products meaning you are either with us or against?

Absolutely spot on Alex, we only want to encourage the sale of electric bikes by companies who are prepared to agree in public to look after their customers. If a customer asks BEBA for help with an electric bike problem, how is BEBA able to react if the bike in question is not from a BEBA member?

5. Retailers not to sell replicas? I’m absolutely against copy products but I have an impression that in your opinion any other bike that looks like, …er…. bike (with just a vague resemblance to yours), is a replica of yours. And as you would have a decisive voice as to whether a certain brand is a replica or not, soon the suppliers carrying BEBA logo wouldn’t be able to make their own choice and sell anything else that’s not one of they key brands, as all other bikes would surely be branded ‘replicas’.

The decision to exclude a company because they are manufacturing a clone of another bike is not down to the individual member who has had a product copied but by a vote from the entire committee.

With only 5 key brands sitting on the board, some people might doubt that their decision will be impartial and not biased. To avoid this, you should have clear guidance specifying what criteria determine whether a certain brand would be labelled as a copy. Please could you specify these criteria?

Is the above what you call a fair business case? I would rather call it threatening suppliers, promoting your own brands only, and making sure that customers who will wrongly believe that BEBA is an independent standard organisation, will face limited / restricted choice of brands as certain products will not be available in many retail providers because of your anti-competition rules. Most of the consumers would automatically associate an industry body as an independent organisation and I’m sure most of them would get quite pissed off if they found out that what seems to be an independent body was only set up to protect the interests of key manufacturers and make sure that consumers would not have wide access to other but key brands.
I understand promoting your own business but doing it by misleading customers and restricting free and fair competition is simply unethical!

To sum up I’d really like to see an independent organisation in this industry – not the one like yours that really sucks!

OK Alex put your time and money where your mouth is, go for it, I for one will support you! :) Better still, lets have your application to join, Key membership only costs £485, I will try and get the others to vote you onto the committee.

All the best

David

Thank you for your offer for being a BEBA member, but I rather think that is not enough for me:D I think I will set up a political party and go for larger piece of cake so I hope you will vote for me:) . It's good to see that you are trying to set up a meeting to discuss all these matters and I hope I will be able to join the meeting. I look forward to hearing re when the mtg takes place. In the meantime, I also look forward to receiving your comments re my points mentioned above.

As always best regards

Alex

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Alex

Hi Alex OK here goes....

I'm afraid i haven't seen any clear explanation of this rule (unless I've missed something). Please could you specify BEBA’s position on including companies who do sell only online, however have a facility where they can demonstrate the product (i.e. warehouse)? If these companies would not be welcome as members, this is excluding not including. If they can, however, become members, this point in COP should be modified to specify what selling ‘purely online’ means, ie not having a demo facilities / or ‘not exclusively online’ should be deleted from this point

I don't think this needs clarifying Alex the position is simple, if a dealer does not have, a shop with facilities to offer test rides and servicing in house they cannot be considered as BEBA members, if they do they can.

Well-known has nothing to do with BEBA membership but recognised does? These are synonymous terms and unless by 'recognised' you mean something else, then this term should be clearly defined in COP. Also, new entrants do not have yet a recognised brand (simply as they are new) so if you only accept companies with recognised brands, this excludes new entrants. Please could you clarify your position re new company that enters the market with a new (not yet recognised or known brand), claims to be absolutely committed to providing excellent customer service and would like to become BEBA member to prove its commitment to ensuring best practice, etc. Do you reject or accept / consider such an application? If you accept, then point 2 re recognised brands should be modified

Again very simply, if the product being sold is not branded the suppliers can not be considered for BEBA membership if the product is branded they can.

With only 5 key brands sitting on the board, some people might doubt that their decision will be impartial and not biased. To avoid this, you should have clear guidance specifying what criteria determine whether a certain brand would be labelled as a copy. Please could you specify these criteria?

This is precisely why we are recruiting new members. However if the bike looks close to identical as another product sold by a BEBA Key member the seller of that bike will be excluded.

Thank you for your offer for being a BEBA member, but I rather think that is not enough for me I think I will set up a political party and go for larger piece of cake so I hope you will vote for me . It's good to see that you are trying to set up a meeting to discuss all these matters and I hope I will be able to join the meeting. I look forward to hearing re when the mtg takes place. In the meantime, I also look forward to receiving your comments re my points mentioned above.

If you want to attend the meeting email me at dmiall@me.com if even one person wants to come to the meeting it will be convened.

Good luck with your political party Alex.

All the best

David

Last edited:

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
Hi Alex OK here goes....

I don't think this needs clarifying Alex the position is simple, if a dealer does not have, a shop with facilities to offer test rides and servicing in house they cannot be considered as BEBA members, if they do they can.

So if a new market entrant sells online but is able to offer demonstrations / trials of the product / service facilities in a warehouse but not in a shop, then it can't be a member? Most of new entrants will not be in shops to start with as it takes time to develop a network of supplier. So you are not really supporting new entrants!

Again very simply, if the product being sold is not branded the suppliers can not be considered for BEBA membership if the product is branded they can.
Makes sense re not being branded but then you should amend this point in COP and replace 'recognised' with 'branded' as for most people recognised brand will mean a well known brand that already exists on the market

This is precisely why we are recruiting new members. However if the bike looks close to identical as another product sold by a BEBA Key member the seller of that bike will be excluded.
What are the criteria of definining 'close to identical'. if this is not defined, then it looks to me that a bunch of 5 guys (the board) will sit together and one of them will say- ''hey guys, this new brand is slightly similar to mine and threathens my brand, so lets get rid of it.'' In any independent and transparent organisation there must be a clear well defined criteria.

Thank you for your offer for being a BEBA member, but I rather think that is not enough for me I think I will set up a political party and go for larger piece of cake so I hope you will vote for me . It's good to see that you are trying to set up a meeting to discuss all these matters and I hope I will be able to join the meeting. I look forward to hearing re when the mtg takes place. In the meantime, I also look forward to receiving your comments re my points mentioned above.

If you want to attend the meeting email me at dmiall@me.com if even one person want to come to the meeting it will be convened.

Good luck with your political party Alex.

All the best

David

Thanks I count on your vote

best regards

Alex

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Invitation to an open house BEBA meeting in May.

Sabine made a great suggestion, if anyone from Pedelecs would like to come into London to a special BEBA meeting, we would be happy to host it.

The invitation is made not only to the trade, but anyone who contributes to the Pedelecs forum. Sabine suggested we hold such a meeting so that anyone can ask anything of the committee and hopefully by being honest and open we can allay fears that BEBA has been set up by a few for the benefit of the few.

If there is sufficient interest I will set up a day towards the end of May.

If you would like to attend please email me at dmiall@me.com.

Best regards

David
David,

Perhaps the meetings could be recorded and put on to You-Tube?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Alex, thanks for giving me tho opportunity to clarify.

So if a new market entrant sells online but is able to offer demonstrations / trials of the product / service facilities in a warehouse but not in a shop, then it can't be a member? Most of new entrants will not be in shops to start with as it takes time to develop a network of supplier. So you are not really supporting new entrants!

It does not need to be a high street shop Alex, it could be a shop on a boat, up a tree or in a warehouse. As far as BEBA are concerned......... well you already know the criteria I don't want to repeat myself or this could get a little boring. :eek:

Makes sense re not being branded but then you should amend this point in COP and replace 'recognised' with 'branded' as for most people recognised brand will mean a well known brand that already exists on the market.

Yes we could. Thanks for pointing it out.

What are the criteria of definining 'close to identical'. if this is not defined, then it looks to me that a bunch of 5 guys (the board) will sit together and one of them will say- ''hey guys, this new brand is slightly similar to mine and threathens my brand, so lets get rid of it.'' In any independent and transparent organisation there must be a clear well defined criteria.

To answer this in full would take a lot of time Alex, time I don't have at the moment.

If we exclude a bike for being close to identical to another we will publicly report our reasons if it helps? Suffice to say we want to attract new members not exclude them, sorry but I feel I am repeating myself now.? If a company clones a bike they will already know they have done it, I don't therefore believe they will be applying for BEBA membership in which case this point is academic.

Alex, I truly believe I have answered your points now, if you want to take this further, I look forward to meeting you at the London meeting or in Presteign. Incidentally I don't seem to have had your email requesting a seat yet.

Best regards

Last edited:

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
Beba

just some thoughts:

For an association to represent an industry, I would have thought it needs to have at least 50% of the companies involved in that industry, at both retail and distribution as members.

No trade association can begin with such a high level of members unless the founding members represent a large % of that trade.

It would be a different proposition if a trade association wanted to represent an elite portion of a market. setting very high standards for membership and restricting members to only the best.

In this case it should clearly state that its principals are to represent the top end of the market not be the spokespeople of the whole industry. It would then be for other companies to decide if they wanted to join and gain the benefits of being part of that organisation

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
It's possible Alien won't join Dave:
Well! going on past experience and from what might be in the pipe line they will probably be better to do things just how they want on there own.

I must make time to manufacture that 8 magnet disk:cool: