What are you really getting ?

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi vita electric and the shop in tonbridge both dropped ezee long before 50 cycles did cant say about lancing and dont know what occurred with cycle point but they were still trading a couple of months ago

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hi vita electric and the shop in tonbridge both dropped ezee long before 50 cycles did cant say about lancing and dont know what occurred with cycle point but they were still trading a couple of months ago

jim
The first two were probably over the Phylion battery issue covered above then.

Cyclepoint simply didn't know how to represent an e-bike company online, the website development, the support and the communications falling far short of what was necessary. They were eventually unable to pay their bills and couldn't get further supplies of batteries and spares, still selling off the remaining stock of eZee bikes without batteries since they'd sold the ones belonging to them as spares. That's why they've been left with the local bike shop, but still with the website showing the eZee bikes. None of these Cyclepoint issues was the fault of eZee or the bikes, nor were the battery issues, as said, that was the fault of the battery supplier, Phylion.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
None of these Cyclepoint issues was the fault of eZee or the bikes, nor were the battery issues, as said, that was the fault of the battery supplier, Phylion.
Dunno.......you design a bike with a motor with high demand from a battery? and get into bed with a distributor without the where with all to distribute:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dunno.......you design a bike with a motor with high demand from a battery? and get into bed with a distributor without the where with all to distribute:rolleyes:
Oh dear, unfair again! Remember what I said earlier, the bike and motor combination was designed with NiMh batteries which worked perfectly and resulted in the huge popularity of their bikes. It was the later failures of the supplier of the lithium batteries that cause the problem, and as ever, the defects didn't show up straight away, the batteries apparently ok at first but then ageing prematurely. By then the production of very high discharge NiMh cells was collapsing due to the switch to lithium, leaving no way back.

As for distributors, good ones don't grow on trees and no suitable established ones were available at the time of the need for one. The answer was to take a chance on a new venture which could have worked, after all, 50cycles were a very new venture when they took on eZee originally. As we know now, this time it didn't work, you can't win them all.

I'd just like the unfair attacks to stop, they aren't deserved. Inspect a Forza for quality and then try it one day and I think you'll be very surprised at both the quality and performance.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Ezee are good bikes but the free market can be very unfair! I've seen loads of good and innovative products in the high tech field fail in the market through bad luck as much as any other problems. Maybe on-bike can recover their image...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think they will. It's mainly a UK problem anyway, UK consumers being what they are. In the USA eZee remains a premium brand and re-launches elsewhere like Italy seem to have succeeded.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I take on all you say but dont think anything I have said is unfair, particularly regards confidence in the product and resale value. I have recent examples where Ezee bikes have struggled to find buyers and made not very good money at all on ebay........

The high torque and power was what interested me in the bikes in the first place and I hope they do recover a more solid reputation but warranty etc will have to improve as well. Weather is bad enough here, so I don't fancy cycling with my own personal dark cloud following me around:)

But still waiting for an explanation of why titanium? when everyone else seems to favour carbon? and an indication of price of T1 surely can not be to much to expect? for a bike 3 years in the making and due within a few months? By comparison wisper 906 price was revealed well before release, and I even have an indication of price of high end wisper 1006 not due for over 12 months.:rolleyes:

this thread seems well balanced to me with a fair share of enthusiasm for the bikes and mistrust as well. Ezee need to put in effort to recover consumer confidence...we are a cynical but enthusiastic lot! lol

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I take on all you say but dont think anything I have said is unfair, particularly regards confidence in the product and resale value. I have recent examples where Ezee bikes have struggled to find buyers and made not very good money at all on ebay........

The high torque and power was what interested me in the bikes in the first place and I hope they do recover a more solid reputation but warranty etc will have to improve as well.
this is what on-bike will have to do, and keep up the level of customer service. Good luck to them but it could take 2 or 3 years. I wouldn't have bought a Wisper in 2007/08 due to issues with wheels but these seem to have been sorted out - also 50 cycles were plagued with low stock levels and delivery delays for the Panasonic bikes, something which seems to have been sorted out lately..

C

Cyclezee

Inspect a Forza for quality and then try it one day and I think you'll be very surprised at both the quality and performance.
Ditto, I'm with Flecc. The Forza and the rest of the Ezee range are great bikes when compared the vast majority on offer and they now have an excellent distributor;)

J:) hn

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
the first 2 stopped selling before the phylion battery problems and i am not surprised cycle point have no batteries as that is what people wanted from them at the time.I dont think ezee are seen as a priemium product in europe or theywould be getting tested by extra energy along side kalkhoff, flyer, gepida and other quality bikes

jim

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I am with Eddeo in that I don't think that anybody on this thread is saying anything too unfair. I suppose the point is being made that you can make a bike with better equipment than your competitor but that won't make a bit of difference to sales IF people don't have confidence in the electrical bits of an electric bike. What is odd is that anybody would be surprised by this! I am not a businessman but Ezee's strategy seems odd to me. I would be at pains to say how the electric bits have improved - the wiring - the batteries - the controls. My Torq was all a bit low rent when you looked at the detailing - the bits of glue from a glue gun holding in the leds on the meter box for example didn't ooze quality. Also If your wiring is poor it doesn't matter how much shrink wrap you put on to protect it, it is still poor (and just makes it more difficult to repair.

I don't understand the battery strategy either. They seem to be sourcing the best cells and have absolute confidence in them (low failure rate etc) but then not offer a two year guarantee as their competitors are. Then we get talk that his guarantee has to be paid for - of course it does! if you get 1 failure in 500 then that is one pound per customer - I would much rather pay a pound or 10 pounds every time I buy a battery rather than being the one left with a faulty battery at 13 months and a bill of £500. As a 2 year guarantee is not being offered then perhaps there is something we are not being told about the failure rate. EIther way round I am off to a competitor who is offering a two year guarantee.

I would like Ezee to be big in the market - it give us all more choice and that is still lacking at the moment. Onbike sound great - full of enthusiasm when I talk to them on the phone so I don't think that who is supplying Ezee bikes at the moment should be an issue provided Ezee have really sorted the bikes out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the first 2 stopped selling before the phylion battery problems
No they didn't. The Phylion problems first appeared well before any retail shop was ever appointed in the UK.

and i am not surprised cycle point have no batteries as that is what people wanted from them at the time.
Cyclepoint have no batteries because they didn't pay their bills, no other reason whatsoever. They lost the ones from their stock bikes because they continued to supply the normal two year old battery replacement market for 2006 and 2007 bikes despite knowing they couldn't get any more batteries.

I dont think ezee are seen as a premium product in europe or theywould be getting tested by extra energy along side kalkhoff, flyer, gepida and other quality bikes
Nor are Wisper, Alien, Synergie and very many others, this is not a sensible way to judge if a bike is premium or not. Extra Energy testing is heavily slanted towards the bike types that are most popular in countries like the Netherlands and Germany. Just look at how many of those tested use the Panasonic unit and how few use the very good Suzhou Bafang motors, a clear bias.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am with Eddeo in that I don't think that anybody on this thread is saying anything too unfair.
I highlighted this from Eddie which was unfair:

It was unfair by definition for the reasons I clearly stated in that post

The answers given to that post refer to other matters like saleability on ebay etc, nothing to do with the unfairness of the comments about the power level designed for and the distributor choice. I wasn't saying anything else was unfair, was I?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
No but most of my post wasn't talking about fairness more about how the brand could be improved! Sorry if that wasn't clear but it is a side issue.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No but most of my post wasn't talking about fairness more about how the brand could be improved! Sorry if that wasn't clear but it is a side issue.
I accept that Harry, but so many of the other criticisms can be levelled at many other makes as well. The Torq 1 was launched four years ago, and others like the Wisper 905 were very "low rent" at that time and didn't bear close examination, also having many similar problems including batteries. They changed battery supplier twice for example, just as eZee have done, both ending up with Advance as the supplier.

That was then, this is now, and now is represented by the specification comparison that Wai Won published at the start of this thread on this link.

I think it's best for everyone to forget history and start judging by the present where eZee are clearly one of the top quality brands with an excellent importer.

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
Why did Chief Ezee start this thread? Mybe he could explain it for us or is it a chance to have a dig at his rival, & why has wisper not had a come back yet he's normaly posting every day :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why did Chief Ezee start this thread? Mybe he could explain it for us or is it a chance to have a dig at his rival, & why has wisper not had a come back yet he's normaly posting every day :confused:
I doubt if any dig was involved, just wanting to show how much his model is improved in specification in the current market and the Wisper is the closest comparison. I think David would accept that. This thread was a follow on from this other thread post which attracted some later critical comment.

After all, we compare makes when selecting an e-bike to buy.

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
If not for Wai Wons posting we would not yet know of the new T1 or the source [one of anyway] of Ezee batteries-the same as Wisper-so surely no issue here.With regards to why Titanium----why not ? I would have thought steel most comfortable .The weight issue with ebikes is almost comical -after all once motor[any type] + battery are aboard it's all a bit redundant.I found this with my Cytronex It was very light but I really felt the weight of the motor in the forks when pedaling unassisted -not cogging-just the weight-it was quite annoying.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
....and others like the Wisper 905 were very "low rent" at that time and didn't bear close examination, also having many similar problems including batteries. They changed battery supplier twice for example, just as eZee have done, both ending up with Advance as the supplier.

I think it's best for everyone to forget history and start judging by the present where eZee are clearly one of the top quality brands with an excellent importer.

I made just that point about Wisper in another thread (or was it this one). They have made great strides in improving their range and you can go to the website and see the changes - I may be a sucker consumer but I like that. Wisper Bikes . On the point of history unfortunately that is all we have (not being able to see into the future) and we have no idea if we are buying a lemon or not. None of the improved spec relate to the electrical systems (apart from the battery of course), and that is my main concern (it is still a pig to ride unpowered). I do wish Ezee every success and while I accept they were unlucky with the batteries and distributer I also believe there is an element of making your own luck.

Just to tantalise us a bit here is the Torq T1 - this may have been posted already. http://www.ezeebike.com/Torq_T1.pdf

still no prices but does say you can email for an idea....

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
O dear...as I suspected battery behind seat on down tube and more importantly weight over 20kg without battery!:eek: so probably 23-24kg all up which others achieve with aluminium for probably a lot less money:rolleyes:

I do like the straight frame, but ruined by typical e bike stretched set up to accommodate battery........Sorry but what a yawn

Last edited: