What are you really getting ?

C

Cyclezee

No they didn't. The Phylion problems first appeared well before any retail shop was ever appointed in the UK.

Cyclepoint have no batteries because they didn't pay their bills, no other reason whatsoever. They lost the ones from their stock bikes because they continued to supply the normal two year old battery replacement market for 2006 and 2007 bikes despite knowing they couldn't get any more batteries.

Nor are Wisper, Alien, Synergie and very many others, this is not a sensible way to judge if a bike is premium or not. Extra Energy testing is heavily slanted towards the bike types that are most popular in countries like the Netherlands and Germany. Just look at how many of those tested use the Panasonic unit and how few use the very good Suzhou Bafang motors, a clear bias.
Once again, I could not agree more with Flecc's comments. Tony really does know what he is talking about with regard to these issues.......and almost everything else for that matter.

J:) hn

C

Cyclezee

Why did Chief Ezee start this thread? Mybe he could explain it for us or is it a chance to have a dig at his rival, & why has wisper not had a come back yet he's normaly posting every day :confused:
I, and I might guess some others suggested to Mr.Ching recently that he might wish to start posting again to keep us all informed about new developments at Ezee.
He was somewhat reluctant to do so because of the 'bashing' and negativity he has suffered in the past, but I am glad to see he has made the effort and attempted to clarify some misunderstandings as well as give us a hint of the latest Ezee which is due to be launched soon.

As for Wisper, I am surprised they have not posted for a while, it is only speculation, but maybe volcanic ash could be playing a part in that?

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
O dear...as I suspected battery behind seat on down tube and more importantly weight over 20kg without battery!:eek: so probably 23-24kg all up which others achieve with aluminium for probably a lot less money:rolleyes:

I do like the straight frame, but ruined by typical e bike stretched set up to accommodate battery........Sorry but what a yawn
Well it is a Torq T1 so I assumed it would look like a Torq [handsome beast indeed] only this one is a higher spec /all titanium model-hence Titanium Torq T1.As for the battery position it's the best place for it. Ask Wisper !!!!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we just returned from Thailand from a two week holiday that turned into a month due to the volcano or governmental jitters? take your pick.

it was hell out there! lol but the 37 deg c heat, swimming and massages fixed my back, so well worth it.......

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
the ezee sprint was sold with nimh batteries also the test sprint in the extra energy test of 2007 had nimh battery there was an option to upgrade to lion battery. The sprint in that test seemed to get a perfectley reasonable and unbiased review

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is what I've been saying about the eZee with NiMh batteries Jim, they performed well, it was just the li-ion batteries that blighted them. Of course the Sprint didn't use the Suzhou Bafang motor that the other eZee models used.

Of the 27 bikes on test, a third of them, 9 models, use the Panasonic unit. Of the rest 11 are using the less common types of motor like Dolphin, Sparta, Yamaha, BionX etc. Considering the huge number of Bafang motored e-bikes on the market, almost certainly the majority, the low proportion of them in Extra Energy testing is striking, a clear bias towards the bike types I mentioned.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As for Wisper, I am surprised they have not posted for a while, it is only speculation, but maybe volcanic ash could be playing a part in that?

David has had a few days of very well earned holiday, spent in Britain since the volcanic ash problem stopped him going abroad as originally planned. I believe he's been busy on other matters since, including a new batch of bikes and new models arriving imminently.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Doriginally planned. I believe he's been busy on other matters since, including new models arriving imminently.
dirty man :eek:

The panasonic system is the best selling motor in Holland?The bike for hills in the flattest country in Europe?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The panasonic system is the best selling motor in Holland?The bike for hills in the flattest country in Europe?
Ironically true, though in terms of bike makes and models, the Sparta outsells any one Panasonic equipped model there, and that's the weakest hill climber of any e-bike available.

So either they are rational after all, or they are just schizophrenic. :confused:

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
David has had a few days of very well earned holiday, spent in Britain since the volcanic ash problem stopped him going abroad as originally planned. I believe he's been busy on other matters since, including a new batch of bikes and new models arriving imminently.
David is over in China at the moment, so that will probably explain his 'radio silence'!

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
dirty man :eek:

The Panasonic system is the best selling motor in Holland?The bike for hills in the flattest country in Europe?
I'd have thought that the Panasonic system sells well in Holland because it feels like an ordinary bike to ride and is notably reliable and well engineered.

While the Panasonic is good on hills, it doesn't specialize in them, working on the flat as well as any other motor.

It maybe has less 'cool' than some of the hub motor machinery but these image considerations are less important to continentals in general. The main disadvantage is that they are expensive.

Chief eZee Power

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2007
Shanghai
It was very bias

the ezee sprint was sold with nimh batteries also the test sprint in the extra energy test of 2007 had nimh battery there was an option to upgrade to lion battery. The sprint in that test seemed to get a perfectley reasonable and unbiased review

jim
I cannot afford to get into the Hannes Neupert "black list", therefore I should not be writing this at all but ? The Sprint we send in 2007 to Extra Energy performed very well, and so it says. BUT we did not get even a "GUT" because there was a little rust on the chainwheel, and that was clearly pointed out as well in their report. Immediately after this, I installed Al alloy chainring on the eZee for EU market.

In desperation, I explained clearly to Hannes, we send them a bike that was used as a demo for many months ( sorry, we try to be frugal ) Yes OK, we also used then a low cost chainwheel with Cr-steel but look at the price difference of the Sprint and others that got the "Sehr Gut" or " Gut" , it was something like 400 Euro. The cost different was just a few Euro for better Al chainwheel . Surely value for money counts, no it did not, relationships with Extra Energy counts more. At that year in 2007, Giant advertised in the Eurobike show issues they have Sehr Gut stamp from Extra Energy, when I confronted Hannes Neupert how this could be when he told me Giant's bike test has not been even completed ! I also understand they works as consultants to the ebikes industries, maybe they also worked for Kalkhoff, and therefore all the great accolates and prizes and what nots. Small company like us pays several thousand Euro to have the bike tested and get bashed for it. Because of this "rust" issue, I changed every damn screw, nut, and bolts on eZee to stainless steel. In our new orders for 2010chainwheel, I specified stainless steel on the chainwheel bolts as well.

Now, I tried very hard to keep eZee away from Extra Energy testings, we were just a couple of weeks ago solicited to send our bikes in for testing, offer very very special discounts for the tests ( when I told them we cannot afford it , the normal charge is about 3500 Euro plus 2 bikes given away for good) but I would rather not. We are just a very small company, and we will stay that way, but we will do our best to keep our customer happy.

Yours truly
Chief eZee Operator

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
For what it's worth Wai Won -I don't think many people[on this forum anyway] are fooled by Extra Energys sham testing and criteria.No doubt plenty of brown envelopes have been passed under the table for desired results.Ezee make great bikes. My Torq 1 still running -20+ miles a day for the last 4 years -I can't ask for more than that.Still saving up for a T1 though !!!!.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Sounds like the test is what the americans call a racket but I agree with Xcytronex that we don't take it seriously on this forum. There is a new magazine for electric bikes coming soon and I am sure you can provide test bikes for them without bankrupting your company. Keep up the posting as we like to hear how Ezee bikes are developing - especially the T1 of course.

Last edited:

Chief eZee Power

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2007
Shanghai
The biggest brand in NL thru' the ages

I'd have thought that the Panasonic system sells well in Holland because it feels like an ordinary bike to ride and is notably reliable and well engineered.

While the Panasonic is good on hills, it doesn't specialize in them, working on the flat as well as any other motor.

It maybe has less 'cool' than some of the hub motor machinery but these image considerations are less important to continentals in general. The main disadvantage is that they are expensive.
OK, the Panasonic is well engineered ( does not mean it is the best ), and in Holland have company as Accell with brands like Gazelle, who dominates the bike market for ages and have almost every bike retailler carrying their brand. So how it would not be the the best selling brand.

Put us in USA and we are on even ground, no nationalistic feeling that they must buy their own. Even there is the usual bias of cheap and poor quality image of chinese product, but people also weighs value for money for sure. In every encounter I have witnessed, when customer could test ride both bikes, eZee wins hand down.

Yours truly
Chief eZee Operator

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
I cannot afford to get into the Hannes Neupert "black list", therefore I should not be writing this at all.

Now, I tried very hard to keep eZee away from Extra Energy testings, we were just a couple of weeks ago solicited to send our bikes in for testing, offer very very special discounts for the tests ( when I told them we cannot afford it , the normal charge is about 3500 Euro plus 2 bikes given away for good) but I would rather not. We are just a very small company, and we will stay that way, but we will do our best to keep our customer happy.

Yours truly
Chief eZee Operator
Hannes Neupert has been ripping off new entrants to the electric bike market for more than 10 years....give me 3,000 euros + 2 bikes and I will write a good report but not always a great report....you are right to stay away from him chief

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with all the comments about Extra Energy testing and have been very critical of them throughout the life of this forum. As a basis for consumer judgment they are near to useless.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
i personally think extra energy do the best reviews on electric bikes biketec and swizzbee both started life as very small companies making bikes but were quite happy to put there bikes up for testing as to little brown envelopes if that were the case the chinese bikes would be top every time if you look at corruption tables for various countries china highly corrupt switzerland one of the least corrupt

jim

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I'm with you on this Rab, comparison tables are useful but they need to be on a balanced set of criteria and not just cherry picking where one brand scores higher than another. But then again I guess that's marketing for you!;) I am sure Wisper could produce another comparison table showing number of dealers, batter warranty and range, etc, etc. It's interesting stuff all the same
Hi Jason

Of course we could but why? This Big Chief Ezee chap really seems to have been upset by Wisper which in my book is absolutely brilliant. I hope I never have to resort to such pathetic and sad tactics to sell a few more electric bikes. I really cannot believe the famous Wai Won stooping to such incredible lows.

In truth I am delighted that Ezee have at last got their act together, ever since 50 cycles kicked them out for selling such awful bikes they have been trying to claw their way back into the UK market. The more good electric bikes available the better in my book.

Power to your elbow Wai Won I hope you sell 1000's of bikes, but please don't be so silly. We are competitors but surly we should be working together to build the market not calling each other names?

All the best

David