Did anyone go out to watch the Tour de France

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Did a channel crossing from Langstone harbour to Cherbourg the night before the Portsmouth race Chainring. The circus arrived the morning after via the ferries, the village was set up in the early hours on the green in Cherbourg harbour, watched the depart and by early evening you would not have known it had been there apart from the spectator road markings. It certainly is a slick operation.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I will be riding right past the start line here in Cambridge this morning at 8:00am on my way to work :)

Jerry

Reactions: superDove

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Be conservative in your riding, don't you go upsetting the Lycra brigade by overtaking them Jerry;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, we've seen the huge crowds and their welcome for the the Tour, but I do wonder at how much real value that had.

It's likely that less than 1 in 100 watching the spectacle ever cycle, and many never have. Give it a week or so and some will be back in their cars shouting abuse at cyclists for daring to get in the way of their beloved car.

The fact is that most were just spectators of an entertainment, just like almost all were for the London Olympics. These are live alternatives to watching TV and another chance for some to engage in the modern obsession with getting their faces and comments on TV.

Cynical? Yes, but i think also justified realism.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well
I had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon, and so did everyone else around me! I dont see why you need to be a cyclist to support and enjoy a world class sporting event.. The back draft nearly blew my hat off!
Unfortunately no e-bikes in this video...

Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
yep,I was in Skipton at 6.45 this morning and have played back the one minute of video travelling the length of the high street numerous times.
That's certainly keen, were there many there that early? and have you got the video on youtube yet?

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
all the places along the barriers were pretty much full, not on youtube yet,been a bit busy.

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Holme's Moss

What a fantastic day yesterday was. I decided to go during the night as I hate motorway driving - what a good decision it was. Google maps said 1hr 32mins for the 72 miles, it was 5 minutes longer than that and another 5 longer on the return journey.
Arrived and had some breakfast - butty and coffee. Then set off hiking and geocaching. Got back to the car and had a few minutes before carrying on. Everywhere was fairly quiet. Headed for Black Hill and surrounding bumps. I met loads of people as the day went on, quite a lot in sandals (this is 500 to 600 metres up) and town type gear most had no idea where they were going. Loads followed me but I was hill bagging so I pointed them in the right distance. Bagged what I wanted including geocaches then headed for the road. Had dinner and dossed around until the caravan came and went. I decided to drop down the hill as the crowds were enormous at the summit. The noise was terrific and the support for the caravan and cyclists was outstanding. When some tail enders came in the sympathy expressed by the crowd gave vent to the loudest cheering of all. It was quite emotional. I took pictures and movies but I probably had my fingers over the microphone - ish, Doh. There were people from all over the country: from Cornwall to Rhyl, from Edinburgh to Kent. I've never seen so many bikes in my life. When it was time to go, I climbed back up to the moorland and looked down - the entire road was filled from the hill top to way past the village below. As I made my way in the general direction of the path, there were streams of people snaking along all over; here and there these streams joined together until eventually there was a torrent of people making their way along the Pennine Way. What was quiet when I'd started out in the morning was now wall to wall with cars as far as the eye could see. Chatted to a member of the Weaver Vale Cycling Club amongst others. Had 10 minutes at the car to let some of the cars disperse then set off home. Super return journey. All in all a fantastic day.

Finished Hike: 6 Jul 2014 17:12:47
Route: TS Black Hill
Hike Link: http://cyclemeter.com/a9aa88fd4d59e387/Hike-20140706-0442
Import Link: http://share.abvio.com/a9aa88fd4d59e387/Cyclemeter-Hike-20140706-0442.kml
Hike Time: 11:49:42
Stopped Time: 23:42
Distance: 16.26 miles
Average: 43:39 /mile
Fastest Pace: 12:21 /mile
Ascent: 2927 feet
Calories: 3563

Last edited:

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Yes spent a marvellous day on Holme Moss. Massive traffic jams afterwards, but all taken in good spirit. I did not see anyone lose their temper.

I did see lots of spectators with brand new bikes and lots with bikes that look they were seeing the light of day for the first time in many years.

Reactions: Taff

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did see lots of spectators with brand new bikes and lots with bikes that look they were seeing the light of day for the first time in many years.
That connects with what I posted earlier. It wasn't saying one has to be a cyclist to enjoy the spectacle, rather a comment on all those pundits and commentators who speak of a revival of cycling resulting. It'll no more do that than the Olympics boosted athletics participation.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That connects with what I posted earlier. It wasn't saying one has to be a cyclist to enjoy the spectacle, rather a comment on all those pundits and commentators who speak of a revival of cycling resulting. It'll no more do that than the Olympics boosted athletics participation.
I think that cycling is definitely on the up and all the bike shops around here that I visit tell me this is the case. With regard to the shiny new bikes on display over the weekend.. My son was out there on one of the hill climbs and also noted this, but his thoughts were that they had all been cleaned and polished for the occasion. I live by the main road than runs up the air valley and what is noticeable are the obvious newbies having a go at cycling. I think an e-bike shop would go down well around here!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
what is noticeable are the obvious newbies having a go at cycling.
I get that round here every Summer Phill, but they mostly seem to be temporary, not seen again after the effort involved and perhaps some bad weather are encountered. Certainly cycle commuting in some areas has been increasing, but overall I don't think there's much difference nationally.

Every year two million bikes are bought in the UK and that's been true for decades, so given that they last at least 10 years, our roads should look like The Netherlands, smothered with cyclists. Unfortunately they look more like Los Angeles.

BigRedF

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Yes we went to Grinton Moor Hill in Swaledale, the crowds and the atmosphere were brilliant!