E-scooters 'are five times safer than bikes' - Study by The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A parachute will come in handy in a collision, as the rider is launched into the air? Looks heavier than the rumoured 55kg limit - a really wide and long base could accommodate small chatty cocktail parties on the back, but the ligislation may limit those to dwarves (leprechauns in Ireland).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its 80kg 72v 90A

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
its 80kg 72v 90A
Very impressive batteries on these gizmos.... To get long range and beat the weight limit, one could carry a spare in a rucksack.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
all the kids would have those things if they never cost$10.000 o_O

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
all the kids would have those things if they never cost$10.000 o_O
I bet the cheapos will be modded to high speed, more range etc. helped by some scooter forum somewhere.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
89% of hysterical Express readers in a poll say e-scooters should be banned - will the gov blink?

"Recent research conducted by Nextbase, the UK’s leading British Dash Cam brand, found that e-scooter riders are 16 times more likely to be injured in a collision than a car passenger, leaving young and untrained riders vulnerable."

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
After learning to ride a bicycle, cylists don't usually keep falling off at every small bump in the road:

"It's new so people are getting used to it, like people learning to ride bike for the first time."

While cycling back from work in the rain last night and thudding into and out an infinity of nasty rain filled potholes, it made perfect sense that e-scooterists on their ickle wheels, choose sticking to pavements: topple over the wrong way after a tiny wheel is swallowed by a small pothole, and they'd get crushed under traffic, but pedestrians soften landings... especially now that we're "The Fat Man of Europe". Better to be crusher than crushed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
89% of hysterical Express readers in a poll say e-scooters should be banned - will the gov blink?

"Recent research conducted by Nextbase, the UK’s leading British Dash Cam brand, found that e-scooter riders are 16 times more likely to be injured in a collision than a car passenger, leaving young and untrained riders vulnerable."

There has to be something to replace Nipples...

• :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This poor chap burst his spleen and died after hitting a tree flat - a helmet wouldn't have have prevented that - I bet he would have survived if he had been using an ebike... from a seated riding position he might have hit the tree with a helmeteted head, or glanced it with a shoulder or arm. A wise safety measure before legalising e-scooters, would be to glue mattresses on all vehicles and objects with flat vertical surfaces at or over waist height. Or wipers to remove the blood...

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
This poor chap burst his spleen and died after hitting a tree flat - a helmet wouldn't have have prevented that - I bet he would have survived if he had been using an ebike... from a seated riding position he might have hit the tree with a helmeteted head, or glanced it with a shoulder or arm. A wise safety measure before legalising e-scooters, would be to glue mattresses on all vehicles and objects with flat vertical surfaces at or over waist height. Or wipers to remove the blood...

"crashed his e-scooter while riding on the pavement."

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
"had no idea it was illegal to ride them at the time"

So no idea it was illegal to use them on the pavement ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This non-running 12-inch wheeled project is almost a e-scooter, if didn't have pedals and had an illegal (for pedelecs) throttle. If they legalise e-scooters, could I turn my pedelec into a e-scooter by removing the pedals, adding a bit of hardboard and a throttle? Will there suddenly be a lot of ebike to e-scooter conversion kits? Wil such conversions need to be type approved by the Department of Transport? If they legalise e-scooters, it'd be absurd to not allow us pedelecers throttles!

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
If they legalise e-scooters, it'd be absurd to not allow us pedelecers throttles!
Completly daft really.

I will assume that a eBike is a good deal safer on the road than a eScooter. My eBike can cope with the moonscape roads we have these days, but an eScooter ?

So if you are for whatever reason not able or want to exert the effort of using pedals, you would have to use an eScooter versus a far superior eBike ?

• Agree

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
This non-running 12-inch wheeled project is almost a e-scooter, if didn't have pedals and had an illegal (for pedelecs) throttle. If they legalise e-scooters, could I turn my pedelec into a e-scooter by removing the pedals, adding a bit of hardboard and a throttle? Will there suddenly be a lot of ebike to e-scooter conversion kits? Wil such conversions need to be type approved by the Department of Transport? If they legalise e-scooters, it'd be absurd to not allow us pedelecers throttles!

What will the legislators do with this one? If your sitting and pedalling no throttle allowed, stand up and you can use the throttle.

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What will the legislators do with this one? If your sitting and pedalling no throttle allowed, stand up and you can use the throttle.
Not so, with a legal 250 watt motor fitted it will be a pedelec, so no fully acting throttle allowed, whether standing or not.

With a scooter motor up to 500 watts, it will be a moped.

I take your point though, this is the mess the legislators are getting themselves into.