E-scooters 'are five times safer than bikes' - Study by The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I suspect the the legistlators, driven\controlled by the politicians, dont understand the mess at all.
It will be clearer when we know what the new law will actually be. I can't see any way they can get around the need for a driving licence, group Q minimum, plus third party insurance.

These could be a big limiters.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I can't see any way they can get around the need for a driving licence, group Q minimum, plus third party insurance.
These could be a big limiters.
Them in ivory towers will expect to get the Qdos of legalising eScooters, but under a set of legalistive requirements that they 'know' large numbers of the UK public will not follow.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What will the legislators do with this one? If your sitting and pedalling no throttle allowed, stand up and you can use the throttle.
Maybe they'll object because the wheels aren't smaller than potholes? If there was a second platform and a bit of storage space for a couple of loaves of bread in between, I might like to test ride one of those with a view for conversion. Looking at the photo below, looks like I might be able to carry a velcroed shoebox or bag as cargo, in pedalling mode. One shoe at the very least, therefore two journeys to the recycling center would be needed. No results Googling "OOX", it's a "MOOX" (damned eyes)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Has Schapps been slapped down? Maybe his annoucement was hot air, designed to make him look like a contender for the top job? ( :D ) Perhaps the petition by charities doomed his evil plan...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I suspect the the legistlators, driven\controlled by the politicians, dont understand the mess at all.
They're too wealthy to be pedestrians very often?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
In my pedestrian disguise on a 20 minute to walk to Aldi to buy Skyr tonight, I saw a e-scooter zooming unsteadily towards me along the pavement at an estimated 15mph. I was approaching a zebra crossing anyway and the road was clear, so I decided to cross over. This e-scooterist must have briefly glanced down at his speedo or something, and assumed I was still on the pavement - he'd jumped off the pavement and was heading right at me again as I was on the zebra crossing, so I had to stop while he zoomed past. Then I saw another e-scooterist zooming on the pavement on the opposite side of the road. Weirdly, it was white, not the usual ninja stealth matte black. Regardless of what the new e-scooter laws are, if the government don't stop sales of the illegal variants, there will be at least a tenfold increase in e-scooter numbers IMHO, illegal and not. I don't fancy dodging 20 e-scooters on a 20 minute walk. Skyr isn't worth the risk. There might have been more than two e-scooterists, as half of my walk was on a pavement where the road was hidden by bushes.

They look like meerkats, standing like that with their paws in the air.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A cyclist was left fighting for his life yesterday following a collision or being hit by an e-scooter yesterday at victoria embankment, the e -scooter rider wearing ahelmet stopped to see if the cyclist was ok then rode off. Police are looking for a eastern european man who was riding an e-scooter with offroad type tyres. The e-scooter rider apparently was one of several riding in a group.

We are going to see a lot more of these types of svere incidents as these e- scoooters are a danger not just to pedestrians.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the e -scooter rider wearing a helmet stopped to see if the cyclist was ok then rode off. Police are looking for a eastern european man who was riding an e-scooter with offroad type tyres.
Probably needed those tyres for the long trip from Ukraine. ;)

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
  • Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A cyclist was left fighting for his life yesterday following a collision or being hit by an e-scooter yesterday at victoria embankment, the e -scooter rider wearing ahelmet stopped to see if the cyclist was ok then rode off. Police are looking for a eastern european man who was riding an e-scooter with offroad type tyres. The e-scooter rider apparently was one of several riding in a group.

We are going to see a lot more of these types of svere incidents as these e- scoooters are a danger not just to pedestrians.
I'm nervous at the prospect of colliding with one of these silent but deadly ninja meerkat operated road (pavement) missiles, while it's overtaking me on the road. I'll need a large infrared display mounted on the handlebar of the road behind at night, because slim ninja stealth matte black and nervous won't be visible in my bike mirrors. I'm not sure escooters will be visible in my mirrors in daylight - I've already got the largest rear view mirrors I could find: Zefal Dooback 2. They won't be large enough...

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's a very enjoyble two seconds in "Jurassic World Dominion", where a e-scooterist gets his head bitten off by a T-Rex lol. Highlights another danger. Still no news about the dumb e-scooter legislation plan. Has Schapps been pummelled into submission by wiser heads? Did he imagine it to be a Red Wall vote winner?

New figures reveal scale of e-scooter menace as police threaten big fines

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Still seething from an encounter tonight with
one of those ninja blokes on a scooter and he went ass over tit.
Walking around to the local supermarket and I was blinded by this fast moving scooter with triple blinding lights coming at me at a speed that was not safe for me, he made no attempt to slow so as he passed me I gave him a light fist pump on the shoulder and shouted at him what I thought.
I didn't bump him hard as I had on my lidl ski winter gloves .
Needless to say he came a cropper and hit the deck, cheeky eastern european immigrant tried to have a go at me with words but they were no match for my anglo -saxon replies so as I turned to walk away from the ejit he gave me a girly kick around the ankles to which he was lucky I was wearing padded gloves but he got a right hhok fist smacking him in the face for his efforts, he never saw that coming.
These bloody things are highly dangerous and need to be totally outlawed, they are so unstable that even the lightest fist pump was enought to send this ejit flying.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: Az. and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i was walking back from the shop the other day and 2 small girls was on a scooter one got going on the scooter and the other ran behind and tried to jump on the back of it just when she hit full power and both ended up in a pile on the floor and cut legs did not even make it 3m from there front door lmfao.

m8 also nearly got squished the other day buy a muller lorry and the driver could not care less so he got his d lock and smashed the front window after 3 goes and broke the lock :D

and so far nothing from the police as it was on cctv lol

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Yes officer....it was some bloke on the bike website im on.... ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0006_03.JPG :p

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
article-2181958-1451E325000005DC-500_306x493.jpg