What are you really getting ?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Support is certainly important, but the riding experience on a bike is very important with far more time spent riding than repairing. In that respect and despite it's faults, the Torq 1 had a very special quality with few equals.
I agree that at the time the Torq was the bike to have, no questions. However that is no longer the case until the Titanium Torq comes along (please can you give a price guide - obviously if I have to ask I cannot afford it??).

The battery issues, the battery connectors and the poor wiring, leading to the bike conking out in the rain, ruined my time with the Torq. When a manufacturer gains a bad reputation it needs to do something about regaining some trust. The battery problems have been solved and as Ezee have absolute confidence in their products they should be matching their competitors guarantee - 2 years. I am not sure what they can do about the poor reputation about the electrical connectors, maybe Wai Won could explain how it has been improved - removing what looked like the numerous computer connectors would have been a start. Personally I think he should ship over a cytronex and see how they have done it as the wiring and connectors on that bike are fantastic.

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
The issues with support and reliability were precisely why I got the Wisper instead of the Ezee - particularly as I don't own a car so transporting the bike to the other side of the country wasn't an option! Plus there was so much uncertainty about who the actual UK agents for Ezee were, who to contact in case of problems, warranties etc.

I used to ride a lot of unpowered bikes, and know the bike bits of the Ezee in comparison are slightly "better" (although I have heard elsewhere a 9 speed chain is thinner and more fragile) but that also pushes up the TCO of the bike when the time comes to eventually replace these drivetrain components...

I've seen multiple reports on here about how whilst Ezee faults were fixed, it took a long time for this to be resolved. Although Wisper had similar faults with earlier 905 SE models, all were not just resolved but there was full and frank dialogue on this forum about everything. If Mr Ching was indeed seeking out owners and replacing faulty components (which appears to be the case), why did the dealers all ignore or deny the problems as is alleged here (until Onbike came along?) Why did they not just take details and pass them on to Mr Ching?

IMO Wisper had two years to solve problems and did, whilst in those to years the perceiption of Ezee in the UK was allowed to slip. In fact, the perception I got was that Ezee had walked away from the UK market altogether!

Certainly not Mr Ching's fault (I know of the hardworking business culture from amongst Chinese in Singapore and Malaysia, my father was one!) but it will take a long while for these issues in the UK to be forgotten.

All the Ezee bikes are good bikes when running, but IMO reliability is important and more important is as quick response to issues when these bikes are being used as primary transport..

It was a very close call between Wisper and Ezee when I was considering my purchase, and in the end customer support was what made the sale.

Last edited:

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Classics are so often flawed-I guess this is part of the appeal and the Torq 1 is definitely a classic ebike.It's a hands on -no nonsense machine-a hard ride.But you know you are riding an electric bike-a great growling beast - not a purring pussy cat gently nudging you along . I've ridden a fair few motorbikes some quite powerful-but none with the elation I felt the day I derestricted my old Torq after riding it for a month or so with the motor capped --at last ebiking as it should be !!!!!!!! I would like to thank Mr Ching for this and the support and enthusiasm he has always provided .
Any pics of the T1 ? Have you had a hand in its design Tony ??

C

Cyclezee

ezee are fast becoming a premium quality outfit in the making.

Best of luck to you :)

As a side note, I have ridden a few wispers and can honestly say it was nothing to shout about (especially as they're at the `PREMIUM` end of the market)
Hi Scatty,

Ezee have been a premium quality outfit for several years, only let down by poor UK distributors and a battery which wasn't up to the job.

That is all history now, they have a good distributor, good batteries and a good range of bikes too.

As for the their next offering, the titanium eZ Torq T1, I'm drooling already and haven't even seen it:eek:

J:) hn

Last edited by a moderator:

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
My Torq 1 has now been going for over three years. In that time I have rebuilt the front wheel, changed the tyres, swapped out the front brake blocks and put in a new motor (my fault for ignoring the need to lubricate).

My initial battery was rubbish, but as soon as I alerted this fact to 'Chief eZee Power' he sent me a new one from China entirely free of charge with outstanding communication and some of the best customer service I have ever encountered. This was outside warranty, beyond the call of duty and my new battery is still going strong two years later.

I have ridden this bike every single day for more than three years, through driving rain, sleet, snow and sunshine. It has been utterly brilliant throughout.

Wai Won has been a credit to the industry and he, and his bikes, have my utmost respect.

Chief eZee Power

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2007
Shanghai
Prices

Mybe you should do a comparison on a better spec bike wisper have always been a bit low end for the money. £1450 seems expensive for either.
The cost of doing business is very high in Europe and USA, therefore the high prices. The UK Govt. rake in more money with 6% import tax and 17 % VAT or GST than eZee for every one sold here in UK.

Our labour cost is of course very low, and I think we have competitive management, and we have to compete in the world market. Believe me, eZee makes a very humble margin, I would dare say any manufacturing company in UK or anywhere in Europe or USA would never do.

Yours truly,

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Any pics of the T1 ? Have you had a hand in its design Tony ??
Not at all, like Aldby, I'm just a drooling prospect. :D

I also enjoyed excellent direct service when necessary from Chief eZee Power on my eZee bikes, meaning the importer changes didn't inconvenience me in any way.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am after a high end E bike but think it will be a while before what I want is available or I may end up with a BionX kit but the cost of these is getting stupid.

when I first got interested in e bikes I nearly went for an Ezee but had such difficulty getting information or feed back from the Brighton distributor cycle something? (near me so feasible - onbike out of the question) I simply gave up and bought a nearly new wisper from classified on here, used it for 14 months and got most of my money back;)

In the meantime I have just bought another wisper 905SE, a city this time, because they are reliable, fun, and not to heavy, a major consideration as I am a motorhomer. I dont give a toss regards spec detail, I just want a reliable bike. Wisper are mainstream Ezee are not end of. Resale of wisper is a breeze with excellent residual value as well, just monitor ebay....the same cannot be said of ezee

so in 12 months I know with confidence that I have a bike that is enjoyable and a pleasure, and that it will work, and if I have a problem it will be sorted efficiently, plus I can get a good price for it when I eventually upgrade.

Why titanium may I ask when everyone else favours carbon? I have titanium eye glasses and bought my son a very nice titanium watch for his birthday as he has had a slight skin allergy......but carbon is the choice of all high end bike manufacturers:confused: is this indicative if Ezee's niche position in the market? Simply not impressed.... again, mainly because of weight, the dark cloud over past? (who knows) battery issues..... and lack of maintenance centres. and I live in London for heavens sake! lol

well just back from being stranded in Thailand for an extended holiday...It was hell! lol

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
is this indicative if Ezee's niche position in the market?
eZee were never a niche manufacturer. Four years ago they were the top selling quality e-bike on the market and the Torq 1 was the nost coveted bike of all. Like many others, the range used NiMh batteries, were reliable and performed better than just about anything else. But then lithium batteries arrived and the battery maufacturers exaggerated what they could do.

For eZee that was very damaging since they had the most powerful motors and therefore immediately exposed the battery weaknesses. The rest to date you know, except perhaps that they are still a premium brand in the USA despite that trouble.

Since eZee make a great range of quality bikes, they will return to the position they deserve in the UK, delayed only by old memories which die hard. Meanwhile I've been happily riding them for the last four years, despite being able to afford anything else that's on the market.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks Tony! A lighter Ezee could well spark some interest from me......but something has to be done regards wider support and distribution:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Tony! A lighter Ezee could well spark some interest from me......but something has to be done regards wider support and distribution:)
I think there may be a difficulty of perception with a retailer also being the importer direct selling, it's difficult to get away from an idea that it's just a shop sales setup. Those former high sales were achieved online from the importer at that time, 50cycles, and they are currently achieving large sales of the Kalkhoff brand, so the online model can still work. Support may seem a problem, but no more a problem than it is for all of the many e-bike brands sold online, and Onbike seem very good in their responsiveness to customers.

They may need a model to capture the imagination in the way the Quando, the Sprint and the Torq 1 did in turn in the past to really take off again. Perhaps it could be this titanium bike?

Meanwhile they have a lot going for them if only more realised it, higher quality components than most others, including decent disc brakes for a change, Marathon Plus tyres as standard, a dual battery option to jump from 14 to 24 Ah, and a unique to them high quality motor that out-powers most.

thingaby

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2008
The quality communication from Chief Ezee Power on this forum has seriously put his bikes in the frame for me as I get closer to purchasing a new bike. An extended battery guarantee would be a clincher (if it's good enough for Flecc...)
The new Raleigh-Derby range too for the same reason

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I don't think it makes such a difference where the point of sale is, as long as the response to queries is prompt and efficient. For me, the advantage of a premium brand is that there are less links in the chain back to the original manufacturer, meaning that issues are more likely to be resolvable by the people you first contact. As I say, as long as the customer service is solid then it really doesn't matter where those personnel are located. I bought my wisper from an online retailer (e-bikes direct), and found their commitment to customer satisfaction remarkably good, and at no point felt like I was being left to fend for myself.

I think I prefer the online model when buying a quality product as it allows a greater freedom to shop around, as long as the websites are sufficiently detailed. I also value user reviews as opposed to professional advice, as you're far more likely to get an unbiased opinion, particularly if you read a lot of them to look for general trends of thought. After all, if you go to a shop with a range of similar products, then the owner will be trying to sell you one of the limited choices they have, even if they're not in favour of any particular one, whereas on the internet you have access to all the possibilities.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi i was told recently that the mark up for ezee bikes was very good so i dont understand why ezee have lost all 5 of the shops that sold their bikes in the past and are now on their 6th bike shop

jim

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
hi i was told recently that the mark up for ezee bikes was very good so i dont understand why ezee have lost all 5 of the shops that sold their bikes in the past and are now on their 6th bike shop

jim
It just does not inspire confidence does it!:rolleyes:

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Django said:
"My Torq 1 has now been going for over three years. In that time I have rebuilt the front wheel, changed the tyres, swapped out the front brake blocks and put in a new motor (my fault for ignoring the need to lubricate)".

I have an eZee kit on my 2 bikes and they are excellent so I'm a believer too.

Just wanted to ask if there is any maintenenace required for the hub motor and what intervals? Django suggests there is a need to lubricate but somewhere I read that the nylon gears don't need anything. Any advice?

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009

jim
Could you possibly elaborate on these points - for instance who told you[mark up]-the names of the 5 shops etc ?

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Django said:
"My Torq 1 has now been going for over three years. In that time I have rebuilt the front wheel, changed the tyres, swapped out the front brake blocks and put in a new motor (my fault for ignoring the need to lubricate)".

I have an eZee kit on my 2 bikes and they are excellent so I'm a believer too.

Just wanted to ask if there is any maintenenace required for the hub motor and what intervals? Django suggests there is a need to lubricate but somewhere I read that the nylon gears don't need anything. Any advice?
Hi piotrmacheta,

Have a look at this thread for more information.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi there was 50 cycles, vita electric in london, a shop in tonbridge wells another in lancing south coast and the last was cycle point in brighton and those are only the ones i know of

jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
hi there was 50 cycles, vita electric in london, a shop in tonbridge wells another in lancing south coast and the last was cycle point in brighton and those are only the ones i know of

jim
In fairness Jim, this is not a loss of 5 shops and one left in the way reported. Some shops were previously appointed by 50cycles who dropped the eZee agency so that arrangement with those shops naturally ended then. The importer was then Cyclepoint who also opened their Brighton shop. Cyclepoint failed in that enterprise.

The eZee importer then became Onbike who in addition to the main business of selling them online naturally also offer them in their own two shops.

None of this shop representation has anything to do with the bikes, it's only to do with the selling arrangements the different importers had.